Macbook Pro or Macbook Air? Which to buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thejackinthepac, Sep 3, 2012.

1. thejackinthepac macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm looking at getting a new mac and would like some advice please...

At present I have an old 10.5.8 Macbook, 140gb hdd, 2gb ram, 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo which and I'm not sure whether to get a 13" Pro or a 11"/13" Air? Which is better for my needs?

I'm looking to stay around the £1000($1500) price range, but my primary requirement is speed more than endless functionality. I use my macbook for mostly heavy internet use, but also video streaming a lot, itunes, lots of photo storage (not editing), a bit of video editing, basic web design, and lots of office/document work from hard drive etc - I do not play any games, I don't need a million apps, I don't need a hard drive full of programs n extras etc etc.

My current macbook is old and sluggish, so it's important I have a fast machine that can run the above things I do - often multiple at once (I get the spinning wheel every time I try to open a web page or load itunes, spotlight search takes days etc)

My macbook is both business and personal use, so I want it to last; I don't have to carry it around or need cool covers for it etc; but I do need it to be as speedy and efficient as possible for long periods of use.

What would you recommend? (HDD space isn't super important as externals are cheap, but would upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram make it faster, or upgrading the processor speeds a few points of a ghz a better option? Is flash memory better than hard drive memory for accessing all my files?) Like I say, I'm looking to get the best combo possible for around £1000($1500).

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You would probably notice the biggest performance increase working with photos and videos by going with flash (SSD) storage. Some tasks are CPU bound, like doing the final export on a video project or applying a complex filter, but the speed of loading files from a mechanical hard drive is also a bottleneck.

The Air line does have slower processors than the 13" Pro, so if pure CPU speed is most important go with the Pro and possibly upgrade it to an SSD yourself.

The Airs aren't slow by any means though these days, and if you're already ok with using an external hard drive to store large amounts of photos and videos then it's worth a look. The Air's extra resolution (1440x900 vs 1280x800) may also be useful for photo and video editing.

If you get the Air definitely go with the 8GB RAM option. You can't upgrade that yourself later and it's a fairly cheap upgrade.