MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lightey, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

2. Brettla macrumors regular

3. Lightey thread starter macrumors regular

iMovie, iPhoto, Youtube, Twitter, iTunes, Facebook, Email, Keynote, Word, Skype, but mainly iMovie.

4. JayDH macrumors 6502

I am wondering the same thing. Just picked up a 13" MBA Ultimate yesterday to replace my late-2008 MBP (battery life was terrible) and now I can get the 15" MBP for $100 less.

I mainly do web browsing, iPhoto, word processing and like the portability and battery life of the MBA. The MBP is just such a beast and I'm geek that appreciates that, haha.

Tough decision....

5. nickarate macrumors regular

"cheap" macbook pro 15 for me. Maybe with upgraded screen. I will put in my own ssd.

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

If you want to stick with the 13" form factor, go with the air. Otherwise 15" pro.

7. Brettla macrumors regular

unless you really need the extra horsepower of the i5 or i7, the Air should do quite well for what you need it for.

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree with the above, if you want a 13" I would go for the air, if you need the 15", go with the pro! [​IMG]

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You will be very happy with the Air. The recent 13" MBP upgrades didn't hurt it any. In fact you now will have a better vid card on the Air, 320M vs 3000. Also better screen resolution on the Air. Once you get an Air with its light weight and portability plus fast SSD you won't ever look at another laptop the same way again.

10. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The Air and the standard 15" have the same screen resolution.

11. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I sold my 2010 i5 15" MBP about a month ago in favor of a late 2010 MBA and have loved it. I was waiting to see what this update would bring us. I'm not too impressed, though. The MBA does what I want it to and does it much faster than any other laptop (or desktop) I've ever had. If the MBP 13" had a 1440 x 900 option, I'd switch back (and gain the backlit keyboard) but I just can't go back to 1280 x 900 after being "spoiled" by the Air.

Too many compromises for me in regards to going "back" to the MBP.

So +1 for the Air

12. d-boy86 macrumors member

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm finding this so-called "update" to be a sham as well.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hey wait! Aren't you the guy who posted this thread?

So remember when I said that SB will not be apart of the next MBP's?
    You complained that people disagreed with you. As you can see now, they were right.

14. leftyMac macrumors regular

I regret I didn't go for ultimate, but I'm very happy with my 13" MBA. I'm now waiting for MBA refresh to replace my 2009 15" MBP, hopefully they'll come up with a FW hub to go with the Thunderbolt.

for what you need a laptop for, a MBA would be perfect.

15. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

for you needs, MBA 13" Ultimate.

I basicaly do all the stuff you do, but i also play Starcraft 2 and i'm loving my MBA. Its portability is amazing, even if you won't be carring it to everyplace you go.

Most of the time i'm using it on the sofa or over my bed - going from one place to another - and its really great not to make ANY effort to carry it.

Also, if you use it over the lap, the much cooler MBA is great! I almost don't fell it over me :)

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Since you listed iMovie, you should definitely go for the mbp. A c2d wouldn't be enough for it.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That just may be the case, but it really depends on what the OP is doing in iMovie.

The MBA is a great machine though. I share the positive sentiment expressed in previous posts in regards to it.

18. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i used to do some minor video editing in imovie on my old blackbook with a 2.0ghz C2d sure its not ideal but honestly if it an on occasion type thing i would go for the air.

thats how i am currently leaning as well.