Macbook pro or Macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i.moroney, Jun 18, 2011.

1. i.moroney macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide between the macbook pro(13") and the macbook air (13")
    My main uses would be:

-Note taking
    -Photo editing
    -Gaming (CS:S, Half life 2, Garry's mod etc...)
    -Web surfing
    -Music listening

I wouldn't mind having an external hard drive for my photos and such but is 128GB SSD enough to hold my music and maybe five games? along with word documents and movies?

And how would the base model macbook air handle the games listed?

:apple::apple:

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Both options are absurd.

Go for one of these bad boys. I'm helpful.

[​IMG]

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

either will handle that usage quite well. decide if you want power or portability.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

today, i would definitely get the mbp. it is far more powerful than the mba, which is quite dated now, and a much better buy for the money.

tomorrow, maybe the mba. it is supposedly due for an update any day. if you can wait, then you can compare the two and make a decision then.

128GB is a lot of memory. how much music do you have, and why do you need to have the music on your computer? i would put music in the cloud / on external drive.

5. Burton8219, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011

Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Hey I'm from Oceanside too! But back on topic... as soon as you said photo editing and gaming the MBA went out the window for me. Much better off getting a more powerful machine. Better to have too much power than not enough.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

^^ This.

^^ Not this. :D

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. if you get a mba, wait for the new models that macrumors keeps suggesting are coming soon

2. CS:S is old, so it should run fine on a mba

3. if you're doing anything beyond note-taking, web surfing, and music listening, i'd still recommend a mbp for future-proofing. Also, photo-editing beyond really simple stuff would warrant a more powerful computer.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. i just added another 20gb of scanned books to my computer this morning. i could always use more! but, frankly, even a 2 tb drive would be too small. so, the answer is memory mgmt. what do you need on your computer all the time and what can you afford to have elsewhere (cloud or external drive)?