Macbook pro or macbook air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonniehenriquez, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jonniehenriquez macrumors newbie

Im in need of a new laptop
    I will use it mainly for photgraphy and video
    I do alot of editing and need alot of space for photos
    what do you guys recommend i need something that will be fast and wont slow down when im editing im new to macs so what do you guys recomend my budget is 500-1000

2. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Used 15" MBP. 13" has too low res a screen IMO for photo/video editing, and the air isn't fast enough

Or a MacBook and use an external monitor

3. jonniehenriquez thread starter macrumors newbie

a used 15' mbp
    processor speed?
    processor type
    ram
    and hard drive
    does it matter what year ?
    im really new to this

4. dallascurrie macrumors newbie

I'm a heavy video editor, and I had the same predicament, I ended up getting a MBP because you do get more horse power, wait till tomorrow and see what happens to the air though, if it has i5 or i7 chips, GET IT

5. jonniehenriquez thread starter macrumors newbie

what is an i5 or i7 im so new to this lol

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I do plenty of serious photography on my 15" MBP. I upgraded the hard drive and the ram myself - cheaper than apple and does not violate the warranty. Plenty of ram and a good size hard drive is often very useful for that type of work. You can't do this on a MA and the bigger screen is better to show others your work, but when at home/office I can use an external monitor.

As for the i5 vs i7, I tend to go with the base models, which are i5's as they offer the best value and the price difference let me do my own upgrade. An i5, of the last generation, 2010, has been plenty for me. For video the newer quad cores might offer a tangible difference.

To upgrade ram from 4 to 8gb currently cost under $100 and my large, fast (fast for a HDD drive) 750Gb 7200 rpm, Scorpio Black cost me $109 from Amazon. I use the original hard drive as one of my backups - cloned everything except my library so if the upgraded drive ever fails I just open and swap it out

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

That is the processor. These replaced the C2D or Core 2 Duo CPU's and are significantly better.

8. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well very deceiving using "Pro", so that's a regular white MacBook with upgraded HDD and RAM for $600. I'd personally try to talk him down to maybe $500-$550. Since it's a C2D.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Price seems good considering it is loaded - no mention of the year or model. The CPU is far from the best if you plan on serious work. I had a 2010 13" MBP that had the same 2.4 C2D CPU and the 2.4 i5 runs 50% faster. If you do not already have software them perhaps that model is okay but if you already have software then may be best to pass.

Also, the current 2011 base 13" MBP's are fantastic with the latest i5 Sandy Bridge CPU's. If you have a Microcenter.com store near you then they have a 'in-store-only' sale for a new model for only $999 which is a fantastic price. I actually bought my 2010 13" MBP from them for $999 last July and sold it in December for $1,100 loaded with Photoshop CS4

10. jonniehenriquez thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP is my best option
    does it matter what year 2008-2010
    i5 or i7
    2.4ghz or more
    2gb ram or more
    250gb hard drive or more
    13 or 15'
    is that what i should be looking for?

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

And to be honest, I'd be skeptical of the software, IMO it's more than likely pirated software. Very common on Craigslist unfortunately.

12. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If you're looking for an i5 or i7, a 15 inch would be more than your $1000 price range. More in the 1300+ area even used/refurbished. If you can handle a 13 inch screen for photo and video editing (I couldn't) then you might get it for around $1000-$1100.

13. jonniehenriquez thread starter macrumors newbie

well all i need is something than can not slow down on me when im editing
    and just need it for photo editing and space for lots of photos dont want something super fancy and expensive

14. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Overall I would recommend the base model of the 13 inch MacBook Pro. You can or a friend can always help you upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive space later for much cheaper than Apple would charge. Maybe buy it on MacMall or Amazon for a bit cheaper and no tax. Still going to be a bit over $1000 though.

15. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

You definitely don't need a pro for photo editing.

And IMHO a maxed out current 13" Air will be faster than a pre-2010 MBP.

16. jonniehenriquez thread starter macrumors newbie

If its a core 2 duro will that still do ?
    If all i use is photoshop and aperture cant a reg macbook do instead of a macbook pro

17. MowsMek macrumors newbie

MowsMek

ressources

If you do a lot of photo and video editing you probably won't be satisfy with a macbook air, programs like final cut pro or aperture or even imovie takes a lot of your ressources and macbook air are just not fit for the job my friend... I know its sad. But the new macbook pro 13¨would do the job for a lower cost and good ressources!

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I used Aperture with an 07 Black macbook, heck I'd sell it to you right now if you want, PM me and we can work something out :)

But yea, a machine with at least a 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram... that should treat you just fine if you're doing light editing with photos. I edited and touched up pictures on mine with Aperture and loved it. Great performance.

If you can't afford a new machine, a C2D one with 4 gigs of ram would be good enough. Obviously one with a sandy bridge processor (iCore) would be better though.