Macbook Pro or Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikobe, Sep 21, 2011.

1. nikobe macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am about to take my first step in to the world of Macbooks. I'm fairly sure that I want to buy a macbook pro 15 - the base model, but I was hoping to get some info from all you macbook users to reinforce my decision. I've done a lot of reading around the forum but haven't found the direct info I would like.

Here's the thing. My windows based laptop died a few weeks ago, so in theory, I'm looking for a replacement pretty soon. I've been hankering over a Macbook for ages. I don't have the patience to wait for Ivy Bridge based refresh.

So, I really like the physical form of the macbook pro (more than the air). I like the fact that it has an optical drive. I really want a larger screen than 13in.

I want my purchase to be as future proof as possible. I don't want to replace it any time soon. I also want it to be able to handle what I want to do on it for as long as possible.

The main part of my usage is web browsing, streaming video, and word processing.

I've heard that because of SSD that the Air might actually be faster than the pro for these tasks.

BUT, I'm in a band and would like to use the machine as a kind of home studio for recording and editing and finally I want to do some light photoshop tasks.

I will wait until the reported speed bump of the pros and then go ahead.

Do you guys think I'm making the right choice with the Macbook Pro 15. My only other alternative was the Air 13. Don't like the screen on the pro 13 and didn't like specs. 17 pro too big and expensive.

Thanks

N

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

As you said already 15-inch would be your choice :)

You want a screen larger than 13-inch, so MacBook Air is not really a choice for you. You don't want the 13-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro.

I think 15-inch would be a perfect size. The spec on the 15-inch have the best balance of the hardware as well. You can say is "future proof" :D

If you're going to get the 15-inch, I would strongly recommannd you upgrade it to High-res screen :)

Hope this help.

3. nikobe thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yep, think you answered your own question. 15" is the one and the base unit should do the trick. Wouldn't go down the 'future-proof' alley, just go for the unit that fits the bill (with a little extra). No need to go over the top in my opinion.

I'm with henry on the hi-res. Anti-glare would be my preference but thats a personal choice. Lots of threads already about glossy vs AG so no need to discuss further.

5. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502