Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
GA
I know this is asked a lot but everyone has different uses for theirs. I currently have a Mid-2009 MBP and I take it EVERYWHERE. The most I've ever used it for is SIMS 3 and it is so slooowwwww, I stopped playing. I dont even know where the CD is. I like the portability of the Air and Ive been reading the forums so the SSD is very appealing to me. I added both to my cart and I wont be able to pick up the MBP with SSD till the 18th and I want it tomorrow(instant gratification).

I change computers about every 2 years and I dont need to upgrade the hardware or anything of the sort. Help please.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I know this is asked a lot but everyone has different uses for theirs. I currently have a Mid-2009 MBP and I take it EVERYWHERE. The most I've ever used it for is SIMS 3 and it is so slooowwwww, I stopped playing. I dont even know where the CD is. I like the portability of the Air and Ive been reading the forums so the SSD is very appealing to me. I added both to my cart and I wont be able to pick up the MBP with SSD till the 18th and I want it tomorrow(instant gratification).

I change computers about every 2 years and I dont need to upgrade the hardware or anything of the sort. Help please.
You want more portability or more power?

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
GA
You want more portability or more power?
I guess portability because I travel outside the country often and packing light is def. a plus. I dont want to sacrifice power though. Is the latest model MBA as powerful or more powerful than my mid-2009 MBP is my question.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I guess portability because I travel outside the country often and packing light is def. a plus. I dont want to sacrifice power though. Is the latest model MBA as powerful or more powerful than my mid-2009 MBP is my question.
There higher end airs - yup

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Looks like you've already decided on the MBA and need some justification:rolleyes: I'd go with MBP 13" + OCZ/Intel SSD since the difference in portability isn't that significant. MBA is also a fine machine and if you like it more, go with it.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
GA
What're the specs of your '09 MBP?

Looks like you've already decided on the MBA and need some justification:rolleyes: I'd go with MBP 13" + OCZ/Intel SSD since the difference in portability isn't that significant. MBA is also a fine machine and if you like it more, go with it.
I fully intended to go with the Pro until an hour before I created the post. I dont like it more cos I've never had it. The more I think about it, Im leaning toward staying with the Pro.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I fully intended to go with the Pro until an hour before I created the post. I dont like it more cos I've never had it. The more I think about it, Im leaning toward staying with the Pro.
The best thing is to go to a local Apple store, use both of them and then decide..

Amasashi

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I went from a mid-2009 baseline 13" MacBook Pro to a mid-2011 baseline 13" MacBook Air myself, and here are some quick thoughts.

My computing needs are really light, just e-mail, internet, music, photos, videos, and iWork. In those terms, the Air was a vast improvement over the old Pro. In fact, it was even faster than a late-2011 13" Pro.

Of course, the portability and 30-day standby time is just plain awesome.

The only disappointment for me was the display. While still better than PCs, the Air has a poorer quality display than the Pro. Color gamut is limited and easily blown out. Whether or not this is a deal-breaker is up to you. For me, it was, so I ended up selling the Air for another Pro.

But the minute they make the displays comparable, I'll be going back to an Air for sure!

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
GA
Thanks a lot everyone. I went with the Pro and I'm typing on my *smells like new gadget* pro <3