MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello everyone. I read your page about the comparison between the notebooks but I still have no idea!

The situation is this: I'd like to buy a portable pc for university (it'll be a birthday present) and I'd like to choose Macbook even if I'm an expert Windows user.

I'd like to know, first, WHY am I going to love Macbooks? What's on compared with pcs?

And then I'd like to tell you about my indecision:
    Air or Pro?

At the same prize (about 1300€) I could get a 13" Air or Pro but:

Air
    1. Faster storage, but less (128 GB) [I have an external Samsung HDD by the way]
    2. Higher resolution but (I heard) worse "gamut" (?!)
    3. Better design (in my hopinion) but few inputs (ports) compared to the Pro
    4. Slower CPU but I don't know if with the faster storage this is not important
    5. Worse audio quality (I heard)
    6. Not upgradable

So I'd like to have a Mac that does not give me problems: I want to have the possibility to use every application without hardware limitations, even Photoshop or Premiere, or HD recording apps and I'd like to have a pc that will last 3 or 4 years and then I'll be able to sell it at good price to get e new one MUAHAH

Then, do you think in October this lineup'll be updated? When usually Macbooks receive updates?

Thanks a lot, guys! Love you.:)

2. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't know what quantifies a Windows expert user but if you are happy with Windows, why do you want to switch?

I personally think the Airs are great and they shouldn't have any issues doing what you want them for.

3. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Because everyone seems to be in agreement that (not considering the prize) Mac computers are extra-ordinary. I'd like to see why.

PS: I'm really satisfied with my iPhone

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Unless you need the extra raw CPU power and storage space in the Pro, I'd say go for the Air.

You'll probably want the extra CPU oomph if you're frequently editing movies, playing games, or editing photos beyond iPhoto.
    You'll want the extra storage if you've got a vast music or photo library.

If neither of these things apply to you, definitely go for the Air. For day-to-day computing it's much, much faster than the Pro due to the SSD. For large storage needs you can use your external drive as you mentioned.

5. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

People usually choose apple because they are supposedly built better and will usually have to pay around the same price for a windows laptop that performs as well. I would personally go with an upgraded air or a base 13 mbp and upgrade it myself aka ssd and ram.

6. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

So which one should I buy?

The Macbook Air 13" 128 GB with 8GB of RAM
    or
    The MacBook Pro 13" 500 GB with 8GB of RAM

I just want a complete pc for my future 3 years-life LOL

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I'd go with the Air. It's incredibly light and great for taking to class. SSD is a huge beenfit as well. It's a very capable computer with a very portable form factor.

8. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

The Air is probably the go-to choice for most people now, as the SSD (especially the new 500MB/s Sata III SSD) makes it much faster for general usage than both the MBP 13" and 15". The 13" MBP might be slightly better for things like encoding and editing videos and other media, but in reality it is still going to be slow for such tasks.

Also, the Airs have better screens than the MBP 13", especially if you get a Samsung screen in the Air. Both have similar viewing angles, but the Air has less glare from lights, and has better contrast etc in addition to the higher resolution.