Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sorcie, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Sorcie macrumors newbie

My dear dear Macbook white has just retired due to old age, so now I'm planning to get a new one and I'm wondering about the 2 Macbook Pro and Macbook Air.
    My demand is not too much, I mostly use the browser, MS office, simple photo editting, and maybe, The Sims :cool:. I know with those uses, a MBA is enough for me.
    However, I don't really need that portability of MBA, I don't take my lap around so much. And I read we can't upgrade MBA, but we can with a MBP, but my budget at the moment is quite limit, I just can afford a basic MBP or MBA, I can't upgrade it at the point of purchase.

So, please give me some advice on this boring matter. I'm very bad at making decision. :(
    Thanks a lot! :apple:

2. leman macrumors 604

3. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Please tell us more about it. :rolleyes:

4. leman macrumors 604

Of course, the 'MBA is superior' sounds rather provocative and I should have elaborated it further, but it was meant only in the context of the asked question. For the usage OP mentions, MBA will simply be a better, more responsive, faster etc. computer.

Its more portable, has better display, faster graphics, longer lasting battery and comes equipped with SSD per default. The MBP might be slightly faster in prolonged CPU-demanding applications, but tis clearly not what OP cares about. As the 13" MBP and 13" MBA are basically the same price, one needs some special reason to prefer the MBP.

5. Sorcie thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appriciate your reply, Leman.
    But does it apply to MBA 2012? Because I got an offer for a very decent used MBA 2012 with i7, 8gb RAM & 256GB SSD. Isn't it so much marvelous?

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I love buying used Mac for steep discounts - that MBA is a beast - what is the asking price?

7. Sorcie thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 1000$ and with Apple care plan activated.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Sounds like a great deal. I would go for the MBA unless you value significantly longer battery life, then go for a new one and pay the extra $$$.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can upgrade the MBP... in a fairly limited manner. You can upgrade RAM beyond the stock 4GB (doesn't really benefit your usage scenario much) and the stock hard drive to either another hard drive or an SSD.

I'd spring for the MBA. You don't lose any significant performance but you do get an SSD, 802.11AC WiFi and more screen real estate (13" 1440x900 and 11" 1366x768 which is at least as much as or more than the 13" 1280x800 of the MBP). Plus it's lighter and thinner.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Woah. So you mean to say the MBA is superior to the cMBP, not the rMBP.

11. leman macrumors 604

I think this is a quite good deal. I'd go for it.

OP asked about cMBP vs MBA, so yes ;)

12. MrGimper, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I can't see anything in the OP that implies they were specifically talking about cMBP ?

13. Sorcie thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh Leman read my mind, I was talking about non-retina MBP. JK, I mentioned about my budget and basic MBP.
    (What does the "c" in cMBP stand for?)

One more question please, how would an Intel Core i7 2.0 Ghz (MBA) be stronger than i5 2.5 Ghz (MBP)?

14. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

the best option is the classic

Hi there,

the cMBP stands for "Classic" what I believe. I have one of those older models before the Retina version hit the markets.
    After more then 3 years I can recommend this machine full heartedly!
    Just go with the standard and upgrade later. SSDs go down in price and are great for upgrading later. Next tuesday, Apple will introduce the Macbook Pro, so there is a great chance you can get a big discount all over the place for last years tech. Make sure you pay MacMall a visit once the new stuff hits the market next week. You will be glad you did.

:apple:

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    As per our rules sales transactions outside of the Marketplace is not permitted. I'm sure this isn't the case in the thread but I'm just reminding everyone of the rules :)

16. leman macrumors 604

How about 'but my budget at the moment is quite limit, I just can afford a basic MBP or MBA'? ;) The 13" rMBP is quite more expensive.

17. Sorcie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm having my purchase on hold until next week. It maybe a luck that I live far away from the store, I can only visit it at weekend. And unluckily, it's half way around the world from my place to Macmall. :(

Aye aye Sir!

18. theluggage macrumors 68030

(So its pretty clear this is MBA versus "classic" MacBook Pro - not the retina - probably 13")

Ok, so that's a bit sweeping.

First, if you go for the Air, you should probably go for the 8GB RAM, 256 GB HD version - even if you have to go second hand/refurb/old stock to get it. Otherwise, you're stuck with 4GB RAM for the life of the machine - and while I believe you can upgrade the SSD with kits from the like of OWC, they're quite expensive.

I think the deciding factor is your disc usage habits. The SSD in the Air makes it feel really fast for general use - even though the CPU is relatively weedy. Once you've used a SSD you won't want to go back. However, if you use more than ~256GB you're going to be reliant on an external HD for storing your bulky files - not necessarily the end of the world, but something to be aware of. The 13" Pro comes with 500GB, is easily upgraded to more storage or SSD at your leisure and you can also get the best of both worlds by fitting a SSD as the system disc and replacing the optical drive with a HD bay for bulky files.

The other issue is whether you need Ethernet, Firewire or an optical drive - all can be connected to the Air via USB or Thunderbolt, but if you need several of those you're going to need a USB3 hub (and remember that the Firewire dongle goes in the Thunderbolt port, which is your only external display connection). Of course, many people just don't need that stuff any more.

However, given that you're not fussed about portability (I assume that you still want some sort of laptop, otherwise you'd go for an entry-level iMac) maybe you should be looking at a refurb/old model "classic" 15" MacBook Pro, which gives you a much nicer sized display.

19. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My post may have been confusing.

I combined two statements into one sentence.

I love buying used mac. (not this mac)

What is asking price? (so I can tell the buyer if he is getting a good deal).

Thanks!