Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cnoto, May 16, 2015.

1. cnoto macrumors newbie

I have a 11'Macbook Air (2011), and I'm looking for a new laptop, but I'm in doubt between:

13'Macbook Pro Retina
    2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB RAM
    256GB

or

13'Macbook Air
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB RAM
    256GB

I use mostly for Internet, Word, Powerpoint, and occasionally for a statistical program (SPSS). Both are exactly the same price.

What do you think is the best option?

2. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

For me, the Retina screen would be the deciding factor.

m

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

For the same price, I'd certainly get the Macbook Pro. You'll also get the Force Touch trackpad, which is not present in the 2015 MBA. Here in Brazil I got a base 2015 MBA 13" to my wife because of a price difference of ~$500 comparing to a base rMBP 13".

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

The Retina MacBook Pro has the Retina Display, a better CPU, better graphics, more ports, a smaller footprint, and a Force Touch Trackpad.

The MacBook Air is thinner and weighs 230 grams less.

That's basically the pros and cons breakdown. What's your preference?

5. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

If you're going to be using SPSS all the time please get the pro instead. That retina screen will let you work longer without eye fatigue.

6. newellj macrumors 601

I've owned three MBAs and you don't see one in my sig, which tells you how I keep coming out. The only reason I'd buy an MBA, and then only the 13", would be if getting literally every minute of battery time out of the computer was the overriding priority. Almost none of us are away from a plug for that long.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It comes down to your preference of thinner and lighter on the MacBook Air or Retina display, Force Touch trackpad, more ports, and smaller footprint on the rMBP. For me the Retina display would win out.

8. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Pro for sure. The display alone is enough to make the difference, let alone the extra power and ports.

9. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Had MBAs since the first one and loved each one. Now switched to rMBP and am glad I did. As others note the screen is worth it alone. Going back to the MBA screen now is a fairly uncomfortable experience. The extra performance and connectivity are a bonus and all-in-all worth the marginal weight gain.

The new MacBook is just to underpowered and lacking in ports for my day-to-day needs. I was waiting for a rMBA but jumped Pro as soon as it didn't materialise.

10. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

I have been using a siblings mba for the past few weeks and just a few days ago I decided to buy a rmbp. Besides the battery life, thinness, and weight the pro is definitely the way to go. In regard to thinness and weight, it honestly isn't too noticeable of a weight difference when the actual footprint is smaller on the pro. Only advantage that I have seen is the battery life being longer on the air but not enough to give up the retina screen.

11. evrard macrumors regular

evrard

As a graduate student myself... this.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I bought a 2013 13" MacBook Air, and it was a great system.

Then the MacBook Pro got a refresh.

It was still a great system, but when the 2015 MacBook Pros came out, I sold the MBA and got one. And I don't regret the switch.

Definitely get the MacBook Pro if you have the option.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

nothing you are doing will come remotely close to taxing either machine. Serious question, have you considered the new macbook? The task you described will be just fine on that machine and you will get the portability you want with a retina screen.

14. ud7s macrumors newbie

Yes, the new macbook might be good for you. Otherwise, a rMBP is better value, and even if it is overkill for you now, it will last you a long time. And you'll have a beautiful screen.
    I would probably get the cheapest 13" MBA if I was broke, but otherwise I don't see a reason for Air.

15. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

In Brazil the price difference between a base 13" MBA and a base 13" rMBP is USD 500,00... and no MBA buyer can be called "broken" since the base 11" Air costs ~1700,00.

But I agree with you... the retail price difference between a 13" Air and a 13" Pro is marginal in US. It's hard to justify an Air purchase unless you got a good discount coupon.