MacBook Pro or MacBook and new iMac for university?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by biohazard6969, Aug 13, 2007.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i'm trying to decide, i have the option of getting a new mac for university in a couple weeks. i currently have an iMac core duo and macbook core duo. what i would use the computer for is for playing games in windows vista through boot camp and everyday ilife stuff on the mac.

2. AaronOcean macrumors member

AaronOcean

Since you're in college, it would be best to get the laptop so that you can take it with you. For example, outside of your room or back home when you visit. Because you want to play games, I would suggest the MacBook Pro because of the better graphics.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You already have quite a few machines. Why not use that money for something else or save it? Unless you plan on selling one of the other ones.

4. 66217 Guest

If you want to play games, a MBP would be best than the MB.

But, would you sell both the MB and the iMac to get the new MBP? I got confused there. In the thread title you said either MBP or MB & iMac (which you already have).

5. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

if i got the macbook pro i would have to sell both the imac and macbook to pay for it. if i was getting the new imac i would sell my old imac and keep the macbook.

i guess another good question to ask would be what the difference in performance is between the Radeon HD 2600 and the Geforce 8600M GT graphics cards. if there is that much of a difference at all.

6. 66217 Guest

I don't know much about video cards, but I guess they are almost the same.

I would keep the MB and buy a new iMac. Are you still living at home? Or are you in a college dorm?

If you are at home, then the iMac would be great; bigger screen, capable of playing games (at decent performance), etc. And the MB is the perfect size for college.

If living in a dorm, maybe the MBP would be better. Just buy an external display and you are done.

Also, would you need your laptop to be able to run apps for video editing, design, etc?

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i say keep what you have and upgrade at a later time when you need it. core duo machines are no slouches.

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well honestly I don't see what's wrong with your setup right now.

Practically speaking the new iMac isn't much different than yours.

I think a laptop is better for a college situation- you can take it places & it takes up less room.

If I was to do anything I would buy a macbook pro.