Macbook Pro or Macbook for College?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

So, I will be heading out to College in September to major in Office Administration and hopefully transfer to Computer Information Systems. Come September I will have the budget to spend on a laptop which Is not mandatory but I know I will need. I'm still kind of debating on getting an Apple laptop but i seriously want one because I want something that will last me through college without worrying about viruses, crashing, lagging, etc. I was thinking of either buying an entry level Macbook or the Macbook Pro. I am going to need MS Office although I have a main desktop Windows XP computer at home which runs good. This laptop should ideally last me through College even though I will MAYBE upgrade to another one halfway or sometime near the end. There are no Main Apple Retail Stores here in Puerto Rico so I'm stuck with Best Buy and Modernica which are resellers so I dont think I'll get a free iPod Touch or even an education discount. I'm also limited to buying in stores since my parents do not have a Visa, Master Card or American Express. So what should I get? Keep in mind the major/s I named both require alot of word processing, internet, use of applications and programs. I am also a person who loves technology and I'm into Graphic Design, I use Photoshop CS4 Extended alot on my desktop but mostly only when I'm editing my social network profiles. Opinions? Suggestions?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Either one would do about the same job, although I think I would go with the pro for the extra RAM (plus aluminum enclosure, FW800 port, backlit keyboard, etc.). The extra 2GB of RAM will be very helpful for using Photoshop and anything graphic like that.

3. advres Guest

advres

You're going into college for a major that does not require heavy processor intensive tasks. Unless you need that for your personal use, go cheap. College is long and if you aren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth it can be extremely stressful money wise. Save the dough and forget the pro.

PS... my old pro I am using has the same processor as the standard macbook does now and I edit HD video on it and do tons of After Effects work when I work at certain agencies offices. I have 6G of RAM which I would suggest upgrading as much as possible, but the macbook is plenty machine for what you need.

4. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

5. MrCooperS macrumors member

For $200 you can get the basic 13" MacBook Pro over the white MacBook and with a education discount, it's only $150. I would go with the MPB over the MacBook any day. The alum unibody on the MPB is going to be more sturdy and it's better for wear and tear for the plastic MacBook; especially if your carrying it in and out on a daily basis. The plastic gets hairline scratches very easy.

6. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Indeed it is! I seriously personally think I'm going to stick with the Macbook Pro.

Notice I previously said there are no Apple Retail Stores in Puerto Rico & I don't have access to a credit card to pay online.

7. advres Guest

advres

Look, did you really want advice or did you want to pump your ego by starting a thread and not taking the more experienced users advice? Sounds to me your mind was made up long before you started this thread. Quit wasting our time.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

not to mention that the pro is more durable and has a better screen

9. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

sounds like the macbook is probably you're best bet, bud. but as the above poster indicated, it doesn't sound like you're listening to reason...

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

What features of MS Office will you be using?

11. Beudeker macrumors newbie

I have bought myself a 15" MBP recently, and I am a student myself. 13" was too small for me, but is is a great machine. If you have no problems with a smaller screen, just get that one. Cheaper, and as already said by others - you will need that money while being a student. Hard times...

Good luck next year!

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

The polycarb will actually do better in a drop, not to mention that it gets better wifi reception. Al looks better but gets messed up pretty easy.

13. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Any current Apple laptop will do what you need just fine (Hell, maybe even an iBook would do too.) It all comes down to how much fund we have available and what you WANT.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

The glass screen is also fragile. But it won't mysteriously crack for no reason :/

15. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

something you might not consider when you're going into college; EVERONE (i mean it) has the MBP 13". i go to a liberal arts college where everyone is afraid of being conformist so they all bought the 13" MBP (which is hilarious because all the other artsy farts did it too). it's disgusting how little diversity there is when it comes to computers on campus. if you want to be different, get the regular macbook. it looks a lot better, and you won't be following the herd. the macbook is easily upgradeable to 4 gigs of ram.

please at least consider this option. people sometimes go straight for the macbook pro because they think "lawd people are gonna think i'm so rad for having the pro version!" this is dead wrong. everyone thinks that way and they end up looking like the commoners they set out to differentiate themselves from. if appearance is at all important (and it seems like it is given you're "i w4nt t3h pr0!" attitude, please please please consider the macbook.

just something i noticed from my 2 years so far at university.

16. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

very true, something like 50% of incoming freshman are getting macs with most of them getting the pros
    I personally don't see that in my lectures but heck, maybe I'm not paying enough attention

but hey, you can always slap on a 'support PETA' sticker to separate yourself from the crowd :)

17. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

That won't be an issue, I don't live in the states I live in PUERTO RICO & since my high school is right next to the college I'm going to attend we share the same shopping center, and I NEVER saw a Macbook out of all the college students who sat at the food court with laptops. I saw like two Macbook Pros and old one and the new one and they were not students, they looked like executives. So I really think I'll be kind of a trend setter & not a follower... just like I did in high school with the Sidekick 2008, I was the first one to have it... I started showing it off & then suddenly everyone had one... but guess what? everyone came to me since they did'nt know their devices or how they worked.

18. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

oh, well, in that case, get the MBP if you're going to be the trend setter. down here (in canada) the trend is to buy windows laptop (mostly the sonys) because so many kids have macbooks and pros and people want to be different.

welcome to the mac brotherhood!

19. blunderboy macrumors 6502

I'd say choose whatever feels best for you, especially if you're not quibbling over the extra $150 for the MBP.

20. advres Guest

advres

The OP gave us an idea of his computing needs (or lack thereof per his own admission), his parents lack of any credit cards (which leads me to believe they don't have a lot of money for college) and the fact he DOESN'T EVEN NEED THIS MACHINE. So, I suggest going with the cheapest option that would suit him fine and even suggest an older option for WAY less money that would suit him fine.

21. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Well, my dad passed away, but my mom does have a credit card, it's just not Visa, Master Card or American Express so I can't buy online! & as I said funding will not be a big issue.

22. blunderboy macrumors 6502

My condolences.

(By the way, good luck with whatever computer you choose. I think you'll end up making the right choice for yourself.)

23. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

sorry to hear that bud, my condolences. let us know what computer you end up with, no matter what it is, you're going to love it!

24. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Thanks to you all, & for the advice and the opinions.
    I know I'll make the right choice & I will take care of it like I take care of myself.

25. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So a laptop is not mandatory but you know you will need??? Ummm, bit of an oxymoron there. Do you WANT a laptop, or NEED one? Two entirely different things.

If you are at college, I assume money is not so forthcoming (unless you are a rich mummy's boy). So, why are you looking at Apple? I've got a Core i5 laptop here running Windows 7 64bit, with ESET NOD 32 Antivirus. It has never, ever crashed, lagged, or got a virus. Not only that, it was more power and RAM for a fraction of the price.

If you are bothered about aesthetics, fine, waste your money on an Apple product. If you want more power for less money and the same level of reliability, get a normal windows based laptop.