Macbook Pro or Macbook for school? Please help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by psupride85, Jun 3, 2008.

1. psupride85 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I will be attending grad school in the fall and just wondering if I could get some thoughts on whether I should purchase a MB or MBP? I'm definitely going to wait June 9th to see if Jobs has anything up his sleeve, but do you guys believe it's worth it to spend the extra money for the MBP. I use my computer for browsing the internet, doing powerpoints, word docs, and may use programs in med school for viewing photos or movies. I also would ideally like the computer to last me my 4 more years in school. Also, if I kick up the RAM to 4gb on the macbook, would that help also in making it last, or is that just a waste of money? Thanks for your help and insight!

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

If I were you, I would buy the Macbook. I don't think you will need the Pro.

There are a lot of threads asking the same question as you so I would search these forums too.

4GB is worth it for making the laptop last more. Its kinda an "upgrade".

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

For the stuff you want to do a macbook will be fine Maxed out or not

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

haven't you given up with the search forum yet? ha ha!
    seems no one is interested err.. probably no one knows how to use it!
    might be the complexity of having your fingers and iris scanned plus your DNA analyzed before you can even use "SEARCH". :D

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

buy the macbook with extra ram (but dont buy it from apple)

and yeah, please search :)

6. psupride85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help...I know for my needs a macbook would be sufficient, I just worry about things such as:

1) Will the plastic MB last me 3-4 years as I heard the plastic cracks and discolors.

2) Is the screen on the MB sufficient, or is the MBP screen that much better.

3) Will the performance of the MB last for the 3-4 years as well.

I just have to decide if these concerns are significant and worth the money. I'm still going to wait to see if any updates on these products come in the next month. Thanks again for the insight.

7. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I would go for the MacBook Pro, yes it is overkill for your uses, but the aluminium casing wears better from my experience and the added 2 inches of screen space is a big delight contrast to the MacBook.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

1) I have my MB for over a year and its hard to keep it clean. I hear the black models become very oily after some time. No cracks though - they happen mostly because of abuse.

2) MB's screen is pathetic. MBP is much, MUCH better.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by it. In 4 years it will be as fast as it is now, but will it be sufficient for your uses? Who knows.

9. psupride85 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I was questioning the performance in 3-4 years is because in my experience with PC's, they just get slower over time...I'm new to the Mac game, but I'm tired of PC's and am ready to get on the mac bandwagon. I'm pretty much obsessed...just can't figure out if I want to spend the extra dough for the MBP. I appreciate the advice though, thanks!

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i have owned a macbook, and now a macbook pro. for durability i recommend the macbook pro. the macbook's hinge squeeks when you open and close the screen, and makes clicking noises. the macbook pro's screen is smooth and firm. Also, you can push in on the sides of the macbook and hear clicks, while the macbook pro is sturdy. scratch/dent wise the macbook may be the winner, but in overall build quality i have to say the macbook pro is the best.

11. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Tbh, the computers on the lot right now are (for most users) enough for anything that the world might throw at them in the next four years. This isn't like back in the day where 512mb RAM was the standard and the annual changes made a huge difference.

Really, the specs right now are enough to play movies, word process, play music, and do all the little things that most users need simultaneously without lag anymore. The only difference between a whitebook, blackbook, and MBP really is the everything graphic related.

Note: The 4gb ram upgrade will NOT be worthwhile (even if you buy your own RAM and install, which you should, money wise) as you don't 'seem' to be needing anything that heavy and you probably won't see a significant difference without doing film/photo/audio editing etc..

Here are a couple things I've gathered. Please, for you or anyone who reads this, these are just some thoughts on possible weaknesses, nothing concrete, don't bash me ;)

MBP:
    - lower wifi range (more wifi problems reported)
    - More 'heat' problems, aluminum casing is the cause.
    - Though touted as a better screen, it has 'more' screen issues and bugs
    - Keyboard is not the chiclet keys, take that how you will.
    - Hard drive is harder, thought not impossible to upgrade manually

MB:
    - Mediocre integrated graphics at best
    - Gets dirty easier, doesn't matter which color, both have specific issues
    - No backlight on screen or keyboard
    - No multitouch
    - Internal speakers are poor, even for laptop standards

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

im a college boy too..i decided on a macbook.because i saw no need for a GPU.+small screen, i can live with, i ahve external monitor at home...use the extra money to buy a ps3.....gaming on macbook pro will never be as good as gaming on a ps3...
    but well, my champion dad decided to buy me the Air for some reason, i said no i need optical drive, so he bought the pro.hes a legend.

but if he had not done that, i wouldve been happy with a macbook.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i agree totally. both are very fast and capable machines. but if you need to use graphics orientated apps or play games the MBP is a must.

the MBP isnt any hotter than the MB its just aluminium conducts heat so it 'feels' hotter.

wheres the evidence for this?

thats why theyre called hard drives! jk :D

the new MacBooks have multitouch.

im not bashing you, you just had a few false statements and need to backup your claims :).

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

no

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

eh? i thought the whole MacBook lineup now has multitouch? just likes theyve all got the new media function keys?

i must have got mixed up with the MBP when Apple added the multitouch trackpad after it debuted on the MBA.

16. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

The Mac Book Pro is just what it says it is... PRO.

It would be overkill and too much of a hit in the wallet to go with the pro, especially if you are using it to do run of the mill everyday computing.

Macs are known for their long life in the usability realm so that really isn't a question. It seems to me that the macbook with the upgraded ram (don't buy it from apple) and maybe a larger hard drive for the movies and photos would suffice.

This is a classic case, the MBP is really geared toward those who need the separate video card and screen size for professional programs like CS3 and others.

I would get the macbook black

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Only mbp and mba. For now.

18. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

By the way...

ALL THE NEW MACBOOK AIRS AND MACBOOK PROS HAVE MULTI TOUCH. THE MACBOOKS ONLY HAVE TWO FINGER SCROLL.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you don't mind a 13.3" screen go for the Mac Book

Get some of these to help keep it clean, I have bought them for three books and they are easy to put on and make your book look REAL PERTY.

The book will last you about 2 good years, then another 2 years if you don't do too much heavy lifting with it.

Get the RAM 3rd party

Get the largest HDD you can

Get Apple Care before your year is up, repairing a laptop is extremely costly and you will be pissed off if it's out of warranty and a random hardware problem arises.

There is no really big reason to wait for WWDC. There most likely won't be any case redesign or update contrary to fanatical skepticism and even if there was you'd be with the 14 day return policy.

20. psupride85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help, I will definitely use it when I buy my laptop. Right now I'm slightly leaning for the 15" MBP, but still might get a MB. I'm gonna research some more and wait it out until mid-July, because I don't start school until August. Thanks again, really appreciate it!

21. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90