MacBook Pro or MacBook Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Mar 2, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I was wondering how the new 2.4 Blackbook will compare with a new 2.5 MBP in terms of graphics (not gaming) - will it be able to drive my 23" Apple Cinema display just as well as the MBP, with full res. and no slow-down or anything, and how about DVD playback and high-definition movie playback, will it still be fully smooth on the MacBook, despite its lack of dedicated graphics card (and less L2 cache, and 5400rpm HD vs. the 7200rpm I'd be getting in the MBP). What about general Mac OS usage, will the faster HD and 512mb graphics card in the MBP mean it'll be snappier to use generally?

What about the LED backlight in the 15" MBP - does it really make much a difference to the general quality/brightness of the screen?

I'm guessing there'll be a huge difference in 3D games when played on the MBP (512 VRAM) vs the MB (144mb "shared")?

And finally, I have the external aluminium Apple keyboard which I really like the feel of the keys - are the MB keys the same feel as the Apple keyboard keys?

Any help appreciated - I just wouldn't mind saving the £600+ by getting the MacBook, if I can!

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Macbook can output 1920x1200 so it will drive the cinema fine with no slow-down.

it depends what you're doing but the MBP will be faster than the MB for the reasons you already outlined.

The LED backlight doesn't affect quality (image sharpness) but it is considerably brighter, instant-on (no warm up) and consumes less power than the CCFL equivalent.

Don't bother with an MB for 3D games, it's just not worth it.

I think so, they're at least similar but I don't own either so couldn't comment.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly doing music in Logic and Mainstage, as well as general use inc DVDs and occasional movie editing.

I'm just finding it hard justifying more than half as much again for the MBP I'd be getting, for a seemingly marginal power increase...