Macbook Pro or Macbook + iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbg232, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Hi everyone,

I am looking to switch from my dell PC (PC User of 15 years - grew up 5 blocks away from steve jobs himself in palo alto) to a mac platform and had some questions regarding whether to buy a macbook pro or a macbook and an iMac. This may sound crazy, but when I price it out in the configurations I need they come out to the same price (actually imac + macbook is $75 less!). I need to have a large screen at home (the 17" mbp would do it) but one of the computers needs to have 2.4ghz and this is where my problem begins:

1. Ultimately the only heavy duty thing I want to do on any of these machines is run starcraft 2 when it comes out. I haven't played a game in 5 years but my love of starcraft 1 forces me into my past. I know the mbp has the 8600gt which is an mid-level card and I assume if starcraft comes out by next december it will just cut it with graphics down. The imac comes with the 2600 pro (well, likely an underclocked XT but that is another issue) and I'm just not sure the 2600 pro will make it even in XP/Vista bootcamp.

2. The other problem is that I have never had to keep two machines at the same time (a laptop and a desktop) and I'm wondering if people think that is a real pain in the butt or is worth the effort given the ultra-convenience of the macbook (plus longer battery time) and having a nice 20" display for home? If you do have two machines at home is it a pain to keep them synced with music files, work files, email, palm programs/dates, calendar events, applications, settings, random stuff accumulating on business trips? I will not be using .Mac so please don't suggest that. This is probably my biggest fear and I would appreciate if someone could address this.

BTW, is it just me or are the new keyboards annoying as hell to type on? I tried them in the apple store and it was almost a deal breaker for me right there in the store.

Thanks mac gurus!

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i have a mbp (SR 2.2) with vista in bootcamp and a 24 inch monitor. Works fine. I'm forced to use the 15" laptop screen in vista though b\c of some glitch with bootcamp that does not allow external monitors to exceed 1024x768 in DVI. I'm assuming this issue with be fixed by leopard but who knows. Its a very widespread problem.

Besides that point, my mbp 2.2 can do the unreal tourney 3 demo at 30 fps at max so it can perform just fine. It seems though that the imac 2600 video card is faster than my 8600GT though with the right drivers. The benchmarks i see on the imac forum for games seems a bit higher than mine by about 5-10 fps.

Regardless of that fact, i'm confident that both the mbp and the imac can handle SC2 just fine. I'm planning to get it myself also.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It depends on the total $ amount you are willing to spend. Might I suggest purchasing a refurb Mac Pro? Buy it now and upgrade when you need later.

If not that just go with a Macbook Pro. The fans scream at high rpms when playing games so don't freak out.

By the way, I dislike the new keyboards also.

4. ga1lyons macrumors newbie

Well i'll go ahead and say it... the new .mac is actually worth it.
    You can setup a folder via Backup, so that you put ALL of your stuff into one particular area and when you get home you can network your laptop to your iMac.
    but I do similiar things, but i also use a .mac account. This gives me all of my user prefs and setups on my desktop to my laptop.
    There may be a way to get this stuff merged over using Backup also.

hope it helps some but it is doable and it will be a lil easier for you. I use a MBP 17" and a MacPro and i do alot of work on each.
    YOu sound like you'll simply be slaving your MB to your iMac so most of your data will only be going 1 way.
    look forward to that at least.

btw, Freyqq, I do the same thing and on my external monitor i run it at 1920x1200 while my MBP screen runs at 1680x1050...
    It will allow it...

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

yeah the new keyboards..

the wired one looks fine.

The wireless one they cut out to many important keys..and its $80. Its like paying double the price of a regular wireless keyboard for half a keyboard. A bit ridiculous i think.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it might not be an issue with the 17" then..but the SR 15" every person i've talked to has the same issue.

7. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately I can't get a refurb mac pro only because I do need the laptop part of it. Does anyone else like .mac?

Also, please anyone else comment on how convenient it is to use 2 computers (desktop and laptop) rather than just a laptop.

Leopard isync doesn't support palm treos - what's up with that? Anyone have any solutions that don't involve buying 3rd party software?