MacBook Pro or MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casse, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Casse macrumors newbie

I will be a first time Mac buyer. I have an I-touch which I love the ease of use and would like to try a Mac.

My 4yr old HP business model is limping along so I've been waiting to purchase the updated MacBook Pro based on the "buying guide".

Now I'm to the point where I'm wondering if I should purchase a MacBook instead.

My uses:

Web browsing
    Digital scrapbooking
    Photo storage & light editing - red eye, crop, ect
    Watching movies, video storage (flip video)
    Games (Spores if available on Mac)
    Email - accessing work email - VPN network
    Spreadsheets, word documents
    Travel - domestic and international

Any assistance in making the selection would be appreciated :)

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

generally, you would probably be better off with just a macbook. BUT, to me, its worth $200 to not have the girly, cheap-looking plastic (just my opinion, so don't flame). I do less intensive stuff than you, and i considered the macbook for about a minute...i don't think your usage would demand a pro model, though, so go for the MB if you don't wanna wait and would be happy.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

If you are trying to decide between the base MBP (2.26 GHz) and the MB (which is also 2.26 GHz), then:

If you want a larger harddrive (250GB vs. 160GB), get the MB.
    If you want a white plastic laptop, get the MB.

If you want an SD card slot, firewire port, backlit keyboard, and an aluminum body, get the MBP. If you feel those features are worth the extra money, get the MBP.

I think they are worth the extra money.

In terms of performance, you will not notice one lick of difference between the base MBP and the MB. They just have a few differing features, and the MBP has a P.

I will never own a white plastic laptop again, and I will never own a laptop without a backlit keyboard again.

Your decision is really based on your wants, needs and budget.

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

Be a real man a go with a MBP :cool: . All kidding aside, goes with the MBP, you will appreciate the aluminum and backlit keyboard, let us know what you decide.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

oh yeah...the backlit keyboard...one of the nicer features over the MB

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

the screen is brighter also on the MBP. It must have a superior backlight which would also help battery life.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

definitely get the mbp. it'll be worth your money in the long run :]

8. Pax macrumors 6502a

Not sure about that, the ones I have seen seem to have the same brightness. Some of them at least use identical panels:- model number 9C9E. Unlikely that they have a different backlight, though I guess it's possible Apple is preventing the Macbook one going to full brightness, as kny3twalker says to save battery.

Personally I went for the MBP but in hindsight I don't think it's worth the extra money. The backlit keyboard is no use to me. I don't use Firewire any more. I think the plastic would be actually more comfortable on my wrists than the aluminium.

I do use the SD card slot now and again, so that's worth something.

I think the speakers are better on the MBP, if you look at the iFixit guides they mention a subwoofer which I don't think the MB has.

Of course if kny3twalker is right and the MBP is brighter, I feel better about my purchase! The screen is certainly crazy bright.

9. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I like the look of my MBP much better to that of the MB. It's just a much sleeker, better looking design and some ports. If that's worth the money to you, go for it!

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Actually since the overall brightness is higher in the MBP, the backlight does not have to be at full brightness to display a vibrant image. Therefore the MBP would conserve battery life, where as the MB will expend more energy to produce a similarly bright image. (As far as I have read, running the backlight on the MB at full brightness rather reduces battery life but is necessary for a bright image.)
    On the other hand, if Apple is now using the MBP display in the MB, it would be interesting to find out what panels are making it to the MB, because the MBP has used many different displays in the past 8 months.

11. Raima macrumors 6502

I got the MBP for the illuminated keyboard and the aluminum casing.

The older Macbook would have been fine for me. The new white one doesn't cut it. From what I heard, the base of the white macbook can get marked quite easily.

12. Peter95 macrumors member

as for me.... yes, macbook does have some features (like bigger hd) and stuff but, also remember, the white macbook casing does scratch easier....