MacBook Pro or new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjespo22, Aug 16, 2007.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

I am buying a new computer when leopard releases. I have a Ibook G4 right now that i use all the time, and bring everywhere with me.I go to the nj shore every weekend in the summer since my aunt has a house there. If I get the iMac, I can just delete all my programs and songs off of my ibook and put them on the imac and just use the ibook to bring with me to upload pics to it when i go shoot somewhere, then i would have to transfer them when i get home. But the problem is that i like to have my music and stuff with me all the time. So that means go for the macbook pro right? IDK what to do. The new Imac is awesome. and i would love the 24" screen.But if I got the macbook pro, i would be able to connect it to my samsung 23". Let me know what you think. Mabe I could just reformat my ibook, and put photoshop onto it but no music and i would have to wait until i got home to update my shuffle or iphone.
    Plus i would have a huge 320gb HD with the Imac.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you need to have a lot of power while you're away from your desk? If so, get the MacBook Pro, if not then get the iMac and continue to use your iBook while on the road.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

since you already have an external screen then I would say go for the MBP. Or you could get the imac and upgrade the hard drive on your ibook for music, or you could get an 80GB ipod

4. cobravap macrumors regular

I'd get the MBP. Portibility is a nice option with a new computer. But u already have an extra screen. So might as well put it to good use.

5. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

yeah im thinking the mbp too but im not sure. I dont need the power. I'd just be uploading pics if i needed to. I have a 4gb card in my dslr so i usually dont. I dont need a 80gb ipod since i have all the music i need on my iphone. Im just saying if i wanted to update my phone with new music or a new update and i wasnt home, then i would have to wait.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Like the OP I have an iBook G4. That being said I think it will be possible to keep all the music AND have photo app on the iBook. Get the iMac and save money, or buy an iPod to put your music on, as somebody already suggested. the base price between them is 1799 for 24" iMac vs. 1999 for the macbook pro... and those are just the base prices. that is $50 away from getting an ipod for the same price ($50 more, you already spending that kind of money anyways)

7. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Even if i had my music on my ibook, i wont be able to sync my iphone or ipod to both so it wont even be worth it to keep the music on the ibook. And also, i would be getting 2gb of ram so its 1950.00. Im starting to think i would be able to live with the desktop and use the ibook to carry around to surf the internet, some photoshop and whatnot

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Dont forget... assuming you went with the mbp, you could sell your ibook on ebay. The g4s in decent condition seem to be getting over 300 or more on ebay right now (I know, I was browsing yesterday as I'm in the market for a used ibook with broken screen to take apart and do a project with) so that price you could get for it would offset the difference in the imac and the pro (basemodels anyway)

I personally love my mbp, and while the new imacs are nice and tempting, having everything on my one computer with me at all times is great (i have abackup external too ofcourse just incase!) and hooking it up to the external with a keyboard and mouse... priceless :)

9. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

this is exactly what im thinking. I want to have everything on one computer. My ibook is 2 years old. in VERY GOOD CONDITION. 40gb hd 512mb of ram and a 1.33ghz processor. You think i could get over 300 for it? That would be awesome.

thanks
    tom

10. trojanman2011 macrumors newbie

Macbook pro all the way. It's more or less the same machine as the imac in terms of specs and you already have the 23inch screen (and a Samsung makes great monitors!). You would just have so much more versitility this way.