Macbook Pro or PC for college?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mloffa, Jul 17, 2011.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I know this is another mac vs pc thread but I'd like to see what you all think is best for my specific situation.

I'm going into college in the fall as an intended computer engineering major. My schools website does not specify anything as to which computer is best to have. I haven't used a PC in years and I'm much more familiar with osx so I'd really like to stay with macs but all the research I've done on engineering majors says you must have a pc...

So, what do you think I should do?

My options are to use the Macbook Pro and maybe use boot camp if I must have a only-windows program and/or use the school computers, or just switch to a pc. Can't afford to own both..

Thoughts?

2. yauzers619 macrumors member

Mac.

If you are most comfortable with a Mac you should get one. Startup in Bootcamp if you need the Windows applications. But it would be most prudent to wait until you begin the program to get a new computer.

3. superericla macrumors 6502

What college are you planning on going to? I'm an intended computer engineering major as well about to go to Missouri University of Science and Technology.

4. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

True, that would probably be best but it's not very practical. If decided I need a PC, I'd have to sell my mac and being without a computer, plus the added annoyance of have to ship the computer, waiting for payment, etc. doesn't sound appealing. I'd like to have it done by move-in day.

University at Buffalo :)

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

MBP is the best PC I've ever owned. Not sure what specifically you need in a PC that can't be VM'ed.

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

not even thinking about anything else, the battery life of a macbook makes it ideal for college.

7. Aamir macrumors newbie

Mac. Definitely
    It's the perfect collage laptop. Amazing battery life, slim, yet durable.
    Also, you can put Windows on a Mac, But not OSX on whatever PC you should choose. More options.

8. tombubi macrumors regular

My vote is for MBP as you can install dual systems on it.

9. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I would definitely recommend Mac, since you can ALSO install Windows using Bootcamp. Very simple. Plus, you get a computer with an excellent design, although not the best spec. The more important problem is should you get a MBA 11", 13", or MBP 13", 15", or 17.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd get the Macbook Pro and use boot camp for Windows programs.

11. Sirolway macrumors 6502

You're asking this in an Apple forum - what response did you expect? ;-)
    So I hope you also asked the same question in a Windows forum ...

12. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I was just about to say this but figured I'd check first.

13. Rainier42 macrumors member

Do you like computer viruses? If so then go for the PC.

14. phassat macrumors member

Wrong thread... All mac people here... 99.99% will recommend mac

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go for the Mac. Run virtualization software if you need to run Windows.

16. blackbinary macrumors member

Comp Eng. should be running Linux in the labs, most likely anyways. Mac will work, since its Unix.

Might need to VM linux or windows.

I'd go mac for the battery life alone.

17. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Make sure there is an Apple Store nearby so you can get to the Genius Bar. MacBook Pro's are middle-of-the-pack when it comes to failure rates and you want to be able to get your machine serviced easily if it does go.

18. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

If OS X is what you are used to using, I'd stick with it. If you absolutely positively have to have Windows, you can run Bootcamp. Not to mention battery life. Another thing you could do is call your department and ask this question, that is what I would do. Get if directly from the horse's mouth!
    Good luck in college!

19. ABadSanta macrumors regular

There may be programs as an engineer you will have to run in windows, but you can always run windows on your mac if you need to. If you're comfortable with a mac, i say get a mac.

20. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

MBP, theres always ways to work around PC only software. Apple does its best to integrate, use boot-camp

MAC4LIFE