Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Hi All,

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.4 GHz Intel i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB graphics card. I am constantly at around 130 GB free of 318.84 GB ( other 244.66 GB ). I usually do RAW photo editing using photoshop and Lightroom and making short movies with iMovie. Other than that I normally use the laptop for browsing and listening to music.

My current laptop is SLOW... I imagine it is mostly due to the updates of the OS and my old hardware can't keep up with the new software?

Could you guys please recommend which laptop I should get next? I understand that there are some rumors of a new MacBook Pro which is scheduled for release in the next couple of months.. I was thinking about just upgrading to that but I wasn't sure what specs I should get? Thank you in advanced.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
WWDC is a few weeks away, wait until then, as Apple may very well release an update to the MBP. I think any flavor of the 15" MBP will suit your needs, at this point, though I do think waiting to see what apple does is your best bet.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The SSD and memory will help. My 13 2011 pro has a 16 GB and 500 GB SSD. My launch times Lightroom and Photoshop are 10 and 7 seconds respectively.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I'd recommend waiting for the (likely) new Pro as others have suggested.

Definitely look at getting at least 16GB RAM in a new Pro, the SSD size is your call. I recommend at least 512GB personally but lots of others will never even fully utilize 256.

As others suggested you could just upgrade your current machine, but it sounds like you're leaning towards getting a new one anyways. Might not be a bad idea considering yours is 6 going on 7 years old. You could even sell your current machine or use it as a server. I definitely think you would notice significant improvements with more RAM and an SSD in your current machine, however whether that is a good decision to put that money into an older machine or not can only be determined by you.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi All,

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.4 GHz Intel i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB graphics card. I am constantly at around 130 GB free of 318.84 GB ( other 244.66 GB ). I usually do RAW photo editing using photoshop and Lightroom and making short movies with iMovie. Other than that I normally use the laptop for browsing and listening to music.

My current laptop is SLOW... I imagine it is mostly due to the updates of the OS and my old hardware can't keep up with the new software?

Could you guys please recommend which laptop I should get next? I understand that there are some rumors of a new MacBook Pro which is scheduled for release in the next couple of months.. I was thinking about just upgrading to that but I wasn't sure what specs I should get? Thank you in advanced.

Well if you are looking for a 15 inch then just buy with storage space in mind and don't worry about the rest they only come with quad core i7's and 16gb RAM it doesn't sound like you need a dGPU so the only thing you'll really care about is storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.