MacBook Pro OS X Lion Time Machine Restore - Frozen at loading screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shepard421, Aug 16, 2011.

1. shepard421 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did some searching to see if I could find my problem on these forums already, but couldn't find anything. If a thread already exists about this, my apologies and please let me know.

Anyways, I restored my hard drive (well, the OS X Partition) from a time machine backup using Lion's recovery feature (hold option at startup and boot into the Recovery HD, restore from time machine backup). After the backup completes my computer restarts, and it gets stuck at the OS X loading screen, with the gray screen, darker gray Apple logo and the loading wheel. I thought maybe because I did a restore, it would take longer to load, but after over 30 minutes of waiting nothing changed. I did a hard shut down and restarted, but nothing worked. I restored once more (I was still able to boot into the Recovery HD, also my Windows partition) with the same results. Once, I was able to log in to my account, but the rainbow wheel came up and the dock never loaded, and it stayed that way so I had to shut down again.

I tried booting into safe mode and verbose mode, but holding the respective keys at startup did nothing, the gray loading screen just showed up and stayed.

Any idea what's going on? What should I do? If I restore completely and set it up as a new computer, will I still be able to restore from Time Machine backups after that? One final question, as an aside: will I lose my license for Microsoft Office 2011 if I wipe the HD and restore? Sorry for all the questions :confused:

Apologies for the essay of a post. Hope someone can help! I really need this fixed soon!

2. geekwlover macrumors newbie

My experience

I prefer to choose easeus todo backup, its free and easy to use.
    You can google its website and download it.