Macbook Pro, OS X won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omegazealot, Feb 2, 2009.

1. omegazealot macrumors newbie

Here's the rundown of what I'm using. Macbook pro I bought a couple years ago, 2.2 intel core 2 duo, 120GB HD, 2GB ram, OS X leopard. I'm dual booting with Windows XP. If more hardware specifics are needed, I can post those.

Recently while I was using my comp, the battery died while I was in the windows partition, and upon next trying to boot into OS X, the following happened. The Apple logo comes up, then the icon starts spinning underneath it. And that's it. That's as far as it gets. It just sits there until I force shutdown the comp. Windows XP stills boots perfectly fine. OS X is the default boot. Now, upon further investigation I learned that one of my friends pranked me by installing a fork bomb on OS X. He told me to boot into safemode, since it would stop any log on processes from occurring, and just delete the file. UNfortunately, this didn't work. I tried booting into safemode, and the result was that the spinning icon took longer to show up, and when it did, it stayed there for a while before the computer then automatically shutdown. This leads me to the conclusion that the fork bomb is not the cause of my problem.

I don't have the OS X.5 CD here on campus with me to boot from, so until I get that, do you guys have any suggestions for me? I mean, there doesn't seem to be much I can do, since I can't access any files, other than the idea that I need my harddrive reformatted or something. I've tried just leaving it alone for a day, electronics like to work if you just don't use them sometimes, but not in this case.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Hold down the option key while booting. Eventually you should see 2 hard drive icons. The one on the left should be OSX. Select it then you should be able to boot into OSX.

3. omegazealot thread starter macrumors newbie

Um...no. That's not my problem. Not only is OS X my default boot, so that that wouldn't matter, but I have even tried doing that in the vain hope that booting through selection instead of default would change something. It didn't.

I've been dual booting since I got the computer, so I know how to select different partitions. That's not the problem. The problem is the OS X starts to boot and then fails right at the beginning, at the image of the apple icon. Selecting a partition occurs before this.

4. davidbk1 macrumors newbie

Verbose boot

Hold CMD+V when you boot to see exactly what's going on. Hopefully you'll see where it's stuck and figure out a solution.

5. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

try resetting the SMC and PRAM

SMC Reset:
    turn system off
    remove battery (while system is off)
    press and hold the power button for 5seconds
    replace the battery

PRAM
    COMMAND (apple key) OPTION P R all at once immediately after pressing the power button, hold down until the system chimes a second time, then release.

If those dont allow you to boot into your system,
    insert your original system Disc 1 and press C to boot from the disk, run Disk Utility's Verify Disk option to see if it needs to be repaired.