MacBook Pro out of date?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dsteller, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Dsteller macrumors member

Your thoughts on where you think the MBP is going.

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Regular macbook pro is on its way out the door.

3. zipur macrumors 6502

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I think the Haswell MBPs will be announced when Mavericks is released.

5. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't want one, I want to see where the community thinks the Pro is going.

6. stagmeister macrumors regular

Apple is pretty predictable these days. The one thing that no one really knows is... when?

1. The new rMBPs will come with Haswell and a longer battery life. Probably not as much of an improvement as the MBA, because the rMPB screen uses more energy than the MBA screen. But there will be improvement.
    2. Mavericks will extend the battery life even longer. So if the battery life goes from 7 hours to 9 hours or even 10 with Haswell, once Mavericks comes around that will go further - to 12, maybe 14 hours. This is based on some screenshots I've seen from developers running Mavericks on their Haswell MBAs - with 18 hours of battery life.
    3. rMBPs will also get PCIe SSDs so they will be faster there too.
    4. Depending on how long Apple waits to release the next rMBPs, there may also be Thunderbolt 2. But that's only if they wait until the fall.

Other than that, things are not these exciting in terms of computer technology... faster hard drives, more memory, better battery life. Apple may give us a better base configuration but I don't expect anything mind-blowing.

The MBA showed us Apple's roadmap. They even said during the keynote: This is where laptops are going. I wouldn't even be surprised if within a couple of years every Apple notebook is in the MBA form factor, with the choice of retina display and quad core CPU (making the computer a "Pro" computer) or not.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't tell me you think you think Apple is going to discontinue the MacBook Pro? :eek:

8. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I think the old macpro is going away. I don't see why it is needed with the airs being so cheap. The rMBP will stay around for awhile.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I'm 100% sure the old Mac Pro is going away too seeing they just designed a new one.

10. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, the CPU it has is obsolete. My prediction is that they will discontinue the MBP, and possibly the 11-inch air. I know it sounds insane, but the size of that doesn't work with where Computers are going, unless they make that air "User Friendly" meaning touch screen. However, with that, they already have the iPad.
    Knowing Apple, they may find some small tweak, and up the price on the MBP.

11. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I love the 11 inch macbook air. More so than the 13. I would get a rMBP before a 13 inch air. It has a better screen, is not as wide, and only ways 1/2 pound more.If the 11 inch had a little bit better screen it would rule the world of portable computing.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They just refreshed the 11-inch air. From what I recall, it sells quite well.

13. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

They refreshed all of the Airs, not just the 11-inch. I said that they could make it work with some adjustments. For the basic student user (internet browsing, word docs, ppt, ect...) it's a great notebook. Just personal preference and my opinion.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

All=Both.

But the point is, you suggested they were likely to cancel it a couple of weeks after the last refresh. It's clearly not going away for at least a year, and I don't see any evidence it's going away at all. It already works and it already sells. Your opinion isn't based on any evidence.

15. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I agree but I think it will go for another 2 years. Lots of schools, and businesses only want and use MBP.

16. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

True MacBook Pro

The true line of MacBook Pro really has gone with the late 17" MacBook Pro some might say, but indeed it truly lives on with the continued power and productivity still only possible on the 17" MacBook Pro, especially late 2010 and 2011 models.

I am still using my 2006 17" MacBook Pro, it has aged a bit but still producing many records with it to this day, but finally got a late 2011 version and updated it completely, it is cooler, faster, longer and far more robust than my retina macbook.

The way Apple is going, eventually it will all be MacBook Airs and Mac Pros. For the air-heads and IOS kids and mega pros / developers.

If they come out with a really powerful and truly compact notebook, I will consider it for sure but as it stands now, Apple is going in a crash against a brick wall at max velocity :D

17. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

RAPTORSKI

The way I see it:

Macbook Pro:
    - Retina Display
    - Full voltage CPU

Macbook Air:
    - No Retina Display (at least for now)
    - Low voltage CPU for better battery life

After all, a power user that is more likely to purchase a Macbook Pro will need more performance and slightly less battery life while for everyone else a thinner and less powerful laptop with better battery life will do.
    Non-Retina MBP should be disposed of by Apple soon.

18. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I personally don't expect to see the classic MacBook Pro being updated. The future is the retina MacBook Pro. The present MacBook Pro is currently the only computer that Apple sells with an optical drive, and its clear with the new Mac Pro that Apple is going to phase them out completely.

19. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

As much as it pains me, they will probably kill the cMBP. It's sad to see such a solid form factor go away after 5 years.

I doubt they'll kill the rMBP line. There is still money to be made from people who want or need the higher specs.

Of course I have a hard time understanding how the MBA became the basic budget model when the MacBook went away. MBAs were expensive back in the day.

20. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I am not planning to jump in the rMBP band wagon so later on I will just save up the last of the classic line. I don't find the rMBP so amazing, you cant upgrade the RAM nor the hard drive it isn't like I can just add 1tb and you only kidding your self when you say you can do it externally! Just look too at the Mac Pro! More like a Mac Bin, you cant even put in regular hard drives in it.

21. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

My thoughts on the Mac Pro are more positive, but on the Macbook Pro I totally agree. I'm hoping it gets at least one more upgrade. Haswell would hold me over for years to come. rMBP owners can be super excited about their laptops for their pretty screens all they want. I'm perfectly happy with my 1280x800 screen. I much prefer a machine I can upgrade or repair on my own.