MacBook Pro Overclocking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmartin, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pmartin macrumors regular

I own a MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo. Almost nothing in it is stock, since I've had it for 3.5 years. Lately, I've been feeling like the graphics card is getting long in the tooth (probably because I replaced the LCD with a 1920x1200 model) and I'd like to overclock it. Now this isn't a huge issue, since I can boot into Windows, Mod the X1600s BIOS and reflash, but this is a pain since I typically only run Windows in a VM. I tried seeing if I could find an X1600 BIOS dump online so that I could avoid the extra work. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything. Has anyone done a similar mod, and if so would you be willing to send me your prepatched BIOS?

Also, I am considering experimenting with overclocking my CPU, although this will probably generate too much heat to be stable. Has anyone done anything similar? If so, how did it turn out.

I am fully aware of exactly what I am doing and why. I have years of experience. Please don't post warning about overclocking laptop components.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've tried on my iMac, but I couldn't overclock it :D

If you use a MB or MBP in direct sunlight, or just in a really hot place running CPU demanding apps it overclocks laptops. Don't think its good for them though.

When my iMac had the sun shining on it once it didn't even come close to heating up to a dangerous level. Laptops heat up more because everything is packed together with less ventilation and the iMacs have an extra fan:D