MacBook Pro overheated overnight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akarmenia, May 25, 2011.

1. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I turned off my MacBook and put it in my bag, then went to sleep. Today I take it out of my bag and it's about 35-40C within the bag. The laptop itself is cooking around the same temperature... Only it won't turn on! I've no idea what could have caused it to continue working overnight like this. When I shutdown I closed the lid and popped it in it's case, with the assumption that it would shutdown (it had already closed my user session) as it normally does. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just to clarify, it turns on now. The problem was obvious after a while - no battery. So the problem lies with closing the lid while shutting down - something which most people would have a habit of doing. I figured the OS would realize that most people don't want to sleep while in the shutdown process, but I think this may be an unintentional anomaly. Even if the laptop had slept, it would not work at full capacity and drain the entire battery. I think it was just a software defect.

People have reported it here before:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/704971?threadID=704971

On another note, my time reset to 11am Jan 2001.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac is not overheating. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps are well within the normal operating range.

It sounds like it didn't stay in sleep mode.
    Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep

For shutdown/sleep problems, try resetting the SMC, instructions for which are in the following link under CHARGING.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. simsaladimbamba

4. akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the reply. I'm beleive my processer has a max temp of 105C, and I've reached it before when doing CPU stress tests, but I doubt it reached that point. My feeling is that it cranked up the fans to cool down and sat there stupidly processing away some infinite loop until it gave out.

5. akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

Thanks for the tip, but I'm guessing it never went to sleep either, or like you said, woke up shortly after. Even so, it would have happily lasted 8-11 hours on idle with temps around 28-38C. Whatever it did was peaking the CPU I believe.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a software defect. Read the two links I posted about your Mac not staying in sleep mode. If it had stayed in sleep mode, it would have consumed around 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep.

7. akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

Thanks for the update. I read the articles you posted, and digging up the console found that the following reoccurring line was likely to be the culprit:

26/05/11 12:19:55 AM kernel systemShutdown true
    26/05/11 12:19:59 AM kernel Sleep prevented by SB 0, SS 1, AS 1
    26/05/11 12:57:22 AM kernel Sleep prevented by SB 0, SS 1, AS 1
    26/05/11 5:01:10 AM ntpd[113] sendto(17.83.253.7) (fd=24): No route to host
    1/01/01 11:00:11 AM kernel npvhash=4095
    26/05/11 8:29:44 AM kernel Sleep prevented by SB 0, SS 1, AS 1

That's the last line recorded. It even recorded my wifi turning off around 4AM. But the confusing part is that up till that point all the apps running indicate they are shutting down. The ntpd is the time server synchronising, and npvhash seems to run each time it boots up according to:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=636913

I even found the offending line in the kernel code that was on the internet to my surprise:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1456.1.26/iokit/Kernel/IOPMrootDomain.cpp

The line is:

if ( systemBooting || systemShutdown || !allowSleep )
    {
    LOG("Sleep prevented by SB %d, SS %d, AS %d\n",
    systemBooting, systemShutdown, allowSleep);

// Unable to sleep because system is in the process of booting or
    // shutting down, or sleep has otherwise been disallowed.
    return kIOReturnError;
    }

So that means that 0, 1, 1 meant the system is allowed to sleep at that time, but that it was also shutting down. So the if condition was satisfied by systemShutdown = 1. After that it should have shutdown, but it didn't, which makes me think something was looping in the kernel without logging anything, indicating it was not doing anything unexpected. So all the way till 8AM - after 8 hours, it was still shutting down, and therefore couldn't sleep. And since it was hot in the morning, that's a pretty good battery :p

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you intend on sleeping the laptop, close the lid. If you intend on shutting it down, shut it down via the menu, wait for it to finish, then close the lid. AFAIK this is true on all laptops on the default settings.