Macbook Pro Overheating/Fan Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rlundin, Mar 11, 2009.

1. rlundin macrumors newbie

Here's a thread I posted on my World of Warcraft guild's forums. I'm reposting it here for additional suggestions. Please ignore the WoW jargon if you're not familiar with the game, but be aware that a "raid" is a situation where graphic intensity is at a high within the game, and can be particularly taxing on a system. Also note that WoW is 4.5 years old, and should not be all that taxing overall on a Macbook Pro compared to newer games.

----------------------------------

My Macbook Pro runs hot. In fact, almost all MBPs run hot, hotter than your average notebook computer. The norm seems to be 150-160 degrees during high activity situations (games, compressing video, etc.) However, mine is running even hotter. Last night during the raid, it was peeking at around 174 degrees. Bear in mind that I was playing with all settings minimized, but at full resolution 1400 x 900 or whatever it is.

Now the real problem. Two nights ago, after extended WoWing, a fan on the right side of my computer (or what sounded like a fan) started to sound like it was making contact with something else in the computer, creating a light buzzing noise. After a few minutes, this noise had escalated to a full-blown, really-annoying buzz. I exited WoW, shut down the computer, and started it again after about 10 seconds. Buzzing sound was gone, fans back to normal. Decided to watch Lost on ABC.com, which got the fans going a bit, but not nearly to WoW levels (WoW levels being 4500-6000 RPMs, it's idling at 2000 RPMs right now.)

Last night, during the raid, it happened again. If you were in my 20-man raid, you heard it for yourself over my vent mic. I restarted WoW twice during the raid, but after only a few minutes the sound came back. Had to use a frozen pizza in a plastic bag as a cooling pad. Computer was running much cooler (163-165 degrees, normal for WoW on my computer) but the sound persisted. Turned off some addons, capped the frame rate at 20 fps, sound persisted. After the raid, restarted my computer, buzzing was gone, decided to watch more Lost and the buzzing hasn't been back since. I suspect it will be back during Sarth 3D tonight.

Comp specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f10

GPU:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Computer was purchased in June 2007. Upgraded to 4 gigs of RAM around Xmas. In the Fall, the computer was sent in to have the logic board replaced, because the video card died. They replaced it with another 8600M GT, a card notorious for overheating and dying. Both Apple and Dell provided free extended warranties for computers using the 8600M.

Any suggestions?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely get it replaced by Apple. You might need to speak with a Store Manager at the local Apple Store, b/c it's lookin' like it's toast. Ask for the manager's business card it they aren't offering a new replacement, then ask for the Customer Relations phone number and email. Good luck, keep us advised...

3. starney macrumors member

I got exactly same problems on the similar model 17 inch 2.4GHz with akasa cooler pad. Still gonna over-heating power off while playing a dungeon raid with team on WoW

4. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

So much heat is dangerous for your computer. It will shorten the lifespan of your product. Download a program called smcfancontrol. This will allow you to adjust the fan revolutions per minute (rpms) on your computer.

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I am wondering if anyone has had AppleCare replace anything because of this over heating?

I called AppleCare last night complaining again, about this same issue. The third tech i talked to told me that since my laptop has been in 4/5 times within the past year; and more prior to that in 2007...

That i should do a clean install and see if the issue persists. If it does then i am supposed to call his number back and he will either send a box to me to get it looked at, or send me a new MBP.

Has anyone done this already? He kept relating the issue to the Fans, and that since they run by software [OS X] that if i reinstalled it, and did not restore from my TM backup, it might be something with my OS install. However, i don't think this is the issue.

To help give you an idea, of how f'd up my MBP is, here is the history:

1. Bad Ram Slot/Kernal Panics. Replaced RAM, Fixed.
    2. Continued Kernal Panics, case arrived mis-aligned from #1. Fixed.
    3. Discoloration of Display, bad color. Replaced Display. Fixed.
    4. Backlit keyboard not working on one side. Fixed.
    5. Mag-Safe port not charging, replaced motherboard. Fixed.

I just don't know what to do.