MacBook Pro Overheating Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aRandomName, Aug 22, 2010.

1. aRandomName macrumors newbie

Hello,

As I am sure you all know, the Macbook Pro is prone to overheating. But mine has taken this to a whole new level.

My processor idles at around 50 degrees Celsius. At the point when I run anything that is processing intensive (be it iTunes or Chrome) it jumps up to 70 degrees. The part that worries me is that every minute or so the temperature jumps up to 95 degrees. Also, the fans are running permanently on high.

This happens even after I have cleaned the fans with compressed air, and reapplying thermal paste on the heat sink.

My dxdiag is attached, but I am using a Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 15 inch, you should also know that I usually boot into Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? It completely eludes me at this point.

Attached Files:

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

That does sound warm
    If you can boot into Mac OS, download iStat Pro (it's free) and post screenshot on here we will take a look
    post a screenshot when
    - your Mac is idle with no programs open
    - your Mac is working hard, CPUs very active

if you can "catch" it when it's at 95 C as well, that would be useful

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i am also recommending you download istat pro it will give yo very precise readings and yes that is pretty warm,

95 c = 203 f

my macbook never exceeds 182 f and the fans get up to 6300 rpm and cool it back off

are you operating in a naturally hot area? i am in a basement that runs aprox 67 f all the time so its nice and cool, that may make it jump slightly

[​IMG]

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

All notebooks run hot. It is not over heating until it is crashing or switching itself off. At 50C now and it is normal.