Macbook Pro overheating issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sythen, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Sythen macrumors newbie

Hey there guys,

My name is Scott, I'm a new user to both Macs and MacRumors, so hello there!
    I recently bought a second hand Macbook Pro, and I understand that the fan in it needs to replaced and the battery. Using SMCfanControl, I have seen that by simply opening Opera, Safari or Firefox that my Macbook can reach temperatures of 80c. This is absolutely insane for simply browsing the internet!

I understand that Flash has a significant issue with Macs, but I am reaching 75c by simply googling or downloading files.

What could be causing this? I bought a Macbook Pro to work with my Audio. I use Reason, Cubase, Garageband etc.. And it worries me that browsing the internet, without the use of any of my audio programs. I hit the same temperatures as using all of my audio applications at once.

Can anybody suggest any way of fixing this?
    My Specs:

Processor 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
    Memory: 2GB 677Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Macbook Pro 15"

As far as I'm aware, this mac is the 2007 model.
    So if anyone has any suggestions at all, please let me know!
    Thanks in advance!

- Scott.

2. teksurv macrumors regular

If it is actually a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo then it is the original MacBook Pro from 2006. Id remove the top case and blow out/replace the fans as described on ifixit.com. Good luck!

3. Sythen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your help. I come from a heavy PC background. And the fact that this Macbook Pro being a 2006 model sounds extremely old. Have I invested in something that isn't worth it?

- Scott.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It depends on what you paid for it. As far as age though, 4 years old is not too old for a mac. I had a 5 year old mac before I upgraded this year and my old mac can easily outperform many of my PC laptops.

5. Sythen thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds alright. I only paid 500 euro for it (661 USD). So I guess that's alright.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah thats not a bad buy. Enjoy it!

7. teksurv macrumors regular

I've just purchased a Late 2006 model on eBay as a project. I've fixed nearly everything that had issues, and I find it to be a very capable machine. I think you'll enjoy yours.