MacBook Pro Overheating or That's What I Think It Is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musiqkid, Jan 8, 2010.

1. musiqkid macrumors newbie

I have a 17inch MacBook pro 2.6hz Penryn model. I've tried searching the forum to find out my problem but i couldn't find anything. it shuts down immediately as soon as i turn it on, this of course after long term use. I thought it was the heat-sink so I re-applied the thermal paste with one from a electronic store.

For about two-weeks or so everything was fine now my problem has started again.

To give you an insight to what happens to my Macbook, I've found a YouTube page of what happens. This is what exactly happens.

It NEVER! shuts down when it's on, only when i restart it, it shuts down immediately, then i have to let it cool down. Then it works again

Can anyone tell me what you might think the problem is or point me in the right direction?

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

indeed bizarre... try http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

3. musiqkid thread starter macrumors newbie

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Did you remember to clean off the old paste before applying the new stuff? And how did you apply the new paste? Did you remember to reconnect both fans?

5. musiqkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i cleaned off the old paste, and reconnected both fans, but to think about it i put a quiet a lot of thermal paste on the heat-sink, would a small amount of thermal paste do a better job than more?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

All you need is enough to fill the microscopic imperfections in the metal. Any more and you are just making a blanket. It doesn't conduct heat all that well, just better than the air in those gaps. Hit google for a few application tutorials, then give it another shot. It's takes a few times before you're used to how to do it. That's why I recommend people not try the thermal paste thing unless they have previous experience with it. Almost nobody gets it right their first try, and an expensive laptop is not a good machine to practice on. For the record, yes I did screw it up my first try too. Left one heatpipe almost completely uncovered. :D

7. musiqkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, maybe I'll give it another go, with arctic silver 5 and practice on my old laptop.

8. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I had that exact problem on a 2.5GHz 17" MacBook Pro penryn 4,1 Early 2008. Expect there was no boot sound. Once that noise happend (not the bong, before it) bang it turns off. No battery fixed it, no nothing. Got the mother board replaced, works

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The correct amount of thermal paste to use is the size of an uncooked grain of rice on a desktop CPU. Since laptop CPU/GPU dies are smaller (no heatspreader), you want to use even less, maybe half that.

One company sells a liquid thermal grease that just brushes on, and makes it almost impossible to use too much.

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Put a rice grain sized drop of Arctic Silver on the processor, then take a fresh razor blade and spread it around until it covers the processor and is nearly paper thin.
    If the heat pipe is also used for the GPU, do the same if it as well.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

His MBP should have 3 chips that need thermal grease--the CPU, the CPU, and the chipset.

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Thanks I was not sure. I have never opened up a laptop only desktops.