Macbook Pro overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quad121, Oct 28, 2011.

1. quad121 macrumors member

Hi all,

please could someone advise?

when running Windows on my Macbook Pro it gets very hot very quickly?

Is there a workaround or something to over come this problem?

Thank you in advance,
    Paul

2. simsaladimbamba

It is not overheating, as overheating would result into a shut down.

Have a look at Task Manager and sort by CPU to see, what the culprit may be.
    I don't know of any fan speed control or temperature monitoring software for Windows though, with which you could monitor the temps and control the fan speed(s).

Btw, what MacBook Pro do you have and what Windows version do you use and what exactly do you do in Windows?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

4. blatopilot macrumors regular

Here is a free program you can use to monitor temp and regulate fan(s).

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

5. quad121 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 17" 2010 spec with the 2.53 ghz i5 processor. When using it running the Mac os it's quite cool but as soon as you boot into windows 7 it gets quite hot in no time.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

that's probably because windows always uses the dedicated graphics card, which heats up and thus keeps everything else from being cooled as effectively.

on mine: idle w/ integrated= 40-45C
    idle w/ dedicated= never colder than 55C.

It seems like you'd be able to feel heat around the fans when it goes above 60 or 65 C, although this is not scientific at all.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios