macbook pro overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Umscheidt, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Umscheidt macrumors newbie

My macbook pro seems to be overheating after i watch a short video clip such as a youtube video. The fans crank up to 5000 rpms and the bottom is extremely hot to touch. They only way to correct it is to restart. Then the fans lower to normal speeds and it cools down. Is this a problem or is this how they all seem to be?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

smcFanControl

The MacBook Pro does get warm with intense use
    You can regulate the fans with smcFanControl

There are some custom settings listed on the board in other threads
    But you can find the ones you like best and work for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

What temps is it reaching when you watch a video? Download iStat Pro to see. The MBP's design is basically one giant heatsink and have been known to get quite toasty on the bottom side. :cool: If the computer was overheating to dangerous levels it should shutdown.

4. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

mine's running pretty hot too. I'm just running idvd

this is from istat pro

cpu A is 74 degrees
    cpu diode is 80
    heatsink -70
    heatsink a 69
    heatsink b 51
    enclosure base 39
    mem controller 52
    airport card 55

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

u said in your post header that your mbp is overheating, but in your post it is actually yourself that is shutting the computer down manually. If is was indeed overheating, then the cimpter would **** itself down. It is Norma for the fans to kick in when the machine is running hot. DMV fan control will not help u because the fans are already running at near max rpms. U need to see what your temps are like with varying usages, so go get istat pro and report back to us your actual temps.

6. efrain macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro overheating as well

My Macbook Pro has been getting very hot as well, usually related to watching a video or something with video. Just last night, a strange screen came over it and a note popped up with something like "You need to shutdown/restart your computer...."

What's the first step I should take? I've heard people talk about diagnostic programs like smcFancontrol and iStat. what should I use and what should I do?

:: efrain
    efrainonline at gmail dot com.

7. JDR macrumors regular

Here's my temps using iStat Nano on a Penryn MBP 2.4 15'':

HD: Macintosh HD: 38°C/100°F
    CPU A: 75°C/167°F
    GPU Diode: 86°C/186°F
    GPU Heatsink: 70°C/158°F
    Heatsink A: 66°C/150.8°F
    Heatsink B: 50°C/122°F
    Enclosure Bottom: 35°C/95°F

The area just above the keyboard is usually hot, and as long as I don't place my fingers there for too long I don't have any problem. I've never had the computer shut down on me for excessive heat...yet :p.
    Also, I don't use a fan controller...my MBP seems to do a good job of kicking up the fans when needed.

Are yours higher, Umscheidt?

8. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Look at utility called CoolBook. It may helps. I bought it and don't regret. After installation, my MBP runs a bit cooler.