Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I ran iStat and here are my results:

20090412-x7hug2eccr2957cpcup4r7rgw1.jpg

For some reason my computer's fan runs very loudly. Louder than any other computer around me. I use my computer for design, but everyone where I am at has the exact same computer, same software, everything. However, mine is the only one that is both running extremely loud, and getting really hot. I used to use it all day, but now only use it once in a while since I got the Mac Pro for all my work. What could be wrong or what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Just checked the activity monitor... For some reason, folding @ home was running at over 200 CPU! I installed that a while ago and must have forgotten. Seems a bit extreme, but I got rid of it. Hopefully that fixes it!

philips

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
I ran iStat and here are my results:

20090412-x7hug2eccr2957cpcup4r7rgw1.jpg

CPU is literally at 100%. And CPU temp is high. Coincidence?

Check with Activity Monitor whether you have some ranaway processes.

Edit1. Sorry me stupid. Didn't read last paragraph. Isn't folding@home supposed to run when computer is idle? So it runs. And it runs at 200% CPU meaning you have dual core CPU. It is as designed. Folding@home isn't app for notebooks.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
CPU is literally at 100%. And CPU temp is high. Coincidence?

Check with Activity Monitor whether you have some ranaway processes.

Edit1. Sorry me stupid. Didn't read last paragraph. Isn't folding@home supposed to run when computer is idle? So it runs. And it runs at 200% CPU meaning you have dual core CPU. It is as designed. Folding@home isn't app for notebooks.

Folding@home runs on idle priority, doesn't mean it'll only run at idle. It just doesn't have priority and when another process needs it, it'll release the folding to the other process.

And I run folding@home on my 17" MBP constantly. I average 90 deg C in the daytime and 80 deg C in the night. Your temps are fine.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Folding@home runs on idle priority, doesn't mean it'll only run at idle. It just doesn't have priority and when another process needs it, it'll release the folding to the other process.

And I run folding@home on my 17" MBP constantly. I average 90 deg C in the daytime and 80 deg C in the night. Your temps are fine.

Just got a MacBook Pro Unibody 15" and I'm getting like 80-85 degrees C when playing Warcraft on it.

Seriously, these temps are fine? Seems pretty hot. I'm not familiar with what the normal temps should be when this processor is loaded down, but I don't want to ruin this thing. Only had it a week now.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Just got a MacBook Pro Unibody 15" and I'm getting like 80-85 degrees C when playing Warcraft on it.

Seriously, these temps are fine? Seems pretty hot. I'm not familiar with what the normal temps should be when this processor is loaded down, but I don't want to ruin this thing. Only had it a week now.

85 degrees C is actually on the cooler side especially since you were playing a game. Only start to worry when the temperature gets up to 100 degrees C.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna

Perfectly normal for an Apple notebook.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
What you have to remember is that even though you probably wouldn't last in an 80C environment, your CPU is designed to to be fine at temps like that. The P8600, T9550 and T9600 are all designed to work up to 105C, so you're well within that. Perhaps if you get above 95C you might want to start getting concerned.

Having said that, higher temperatures will shorten your CPU's lifespan - although it probably won't affect you because even at high temperatures it should last for ages - it's more likely something else will go first.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
a little off topic but are you using any fan control (SMCFancontrol or Fan Control)? If you're not, when do your fans actually kick in? I ask this is because if I run Warcraft III, CPU temps will get near 80 C and GPU will be around 60 C and fans will stay at around 2000 and doesn't go beyond that. What I find interesting is if I run the command "yes > /null/dev" in Terminal and max out my CPU, the fans will speed up to 3000 rpm+. Just wanted to know if that was happening. I removed Fan Control and reset the SMC so wasn't sure if it was that or if it's some kind of error. I reinstalled Fan Control so heating is not an issue but just wanted to see what other users are experiencing.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
a little off topic but are you using any fan control (SMCFancontrol or Fan Control)? If you're not, when do your fans actually kick in? I ask this is because if I run Warcraft III, CPU temps will get near 80 C and GPU will be around 60 C and fans will stay at around 2000 and doesn't go beyond that. What I find interesting is if I run the command "yes > /null/dev" in Terminal and max out my CPU, the fans will speed up to 3000 rpm+. Just wanted to know if that was happening. I removed Fan Control and reset the SMC so wasn't sure if it was that or if it's some kind of error. I reinstalled Fan Control so heating is not an issue but just wanted to see what other users are experiencing.

I've been using Fan Control on the MacBook Pro, when the temps get to around 85 degrees the fans are both running almost 6000 RPM's. When there's not much load and I'm using the 9600GT mode it idles around 55ish and the fans stay around 2500 RPM's. When in the 9400 graphics mode, the machine runs MUCH cooler and the temps hover around 35 degrees with the fans running around 2000.

The reason I was concerned about the temps are my past experiences with different processors. I have one of the original 24" iMacs and it starts to overheat and get graphical glitches in WoW if the temps go up past 45 degrees or so. I have to keep the fans cranked to their max to get the air to flow through it. :D

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
@TJunkers

show us a screenshot of activity monitor/activ processes ... ;)

your fans are running at full speed !

one thing you can try anyway is: coolbook, but read instructions carefully ...

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
show us a screenshot of activity monitor/activ processes ... ;)

your fans are running at full speed !

one thing you can try anyway is: coolbook, but read instructions carefully ...

Whom are you talking to? My fans only run at full speed when I'm running something CPU/GPU intensive and the CPU temp is like 85ish...like Warcraft. Otherwise they're running much slower. Fan Control works like a charm actually, scaling the fan speeds in-line with the temps.

If your reply was directed at someone else, I apologize. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.