Macbook pro overheats while playing game

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arunim, Dec 22, 2009.

1. arunim macrumors member

I just bought my computer 3 weeks ago. I installed windows in bootcamp and a few games on it.

When I play a game on it.. within about 15mins.. my macbook pro (2.8GHz model) gets extremely hot. It's about 65 deg C (145 F).. I can hardly touch it just above the keyboard region. I'm guessing this is where the processor is.. The fans also kick in at full speed.

I do understand that the computer will get hot under heavy load...
    I'm just wondering if it is normal for the computer to get SO hot? Will it damage my computer in the long run? Should I go get it checked out at the apple store?

Seriously... I could cook an egg on it.. lol

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I'd suggest getting a temperature monitoring program first of all... that way you can at least put some numbers to "could cook an egg on it".

3. Collider macrumors regular

65C is not too hot for running heavy load; from what I've read, the CPU is built for optimum performance between 48 and 90C, so 65 is well within the norm.

Also, the aluminum surface is going to feel much hotter than it should, even when there's nothing to worry about internally, because it's designed to carry heat away from the components -- the outside surface gets hot to keep the insides cool.

4. thatguysmells macrumors regular

The title of this thread is misleading. You said "Over Heats." When a computer over heats it turns off. Just sayin. :cool:

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

That temp is well within the normal range.

Like another poster mentioned it will feel hotter because of the aluminum acting like a big heat sink.

6. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

65 Deg C is fine. I have hit over 80C when gaming at times. So I wouldn't stress it if I were you. Also go and download a program called RealTemp; it will give you accurate readings from your gpu and cpu temperature probes. Here are my temps on windows 7 after a full nod32 scan you can compare too:

GPU: 61C
    CPU: 52C

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Are you serious? Over heating simply means that it is hotter than normal. C'mmon...

8. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Generally, the GPU will act in this manner:
    ~90C, it underclocks itself majorly.
    ~100C, total shutdown of the card. It will not turn back on until you let it rest to ~60C.

9. arunim thread starter macrumors member

ok kewl.. thanks guys..
    i was just getting worried..
    also.. i didnt buy apple care with my computer... is it recommended??

10. Collider macrumors regular

Trying to figure this one out myself; general consensus on the forum seems to be that it is a very good idea, but I think they advise not to buy it until your one-year warranty is close to being up; that way, if you accidentally do something to void your warranty within the first year, you won't have shelled out the wasted money on the extra two.

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Using monitoring software, my processor has gotten above 100°C, which is enough to boil water, and break the computer.

And about that egg, there was someone online that DID cook an egg on the bottom of a MacBook Pro