Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hey guys!

So, I've owned my white Macbook for over 3 years now. It was time to upgrade. Originally I purchased the new 2009 White Macbooks, seeing the 5 battery life as a plus considering my late 2006 model barely holds a charge. etc. etc.

Well, I was on the phone with an Apple Rep. and she suggested I could upgrade to the new Macbook Pro for the same price of $999, as long as I didn't mind the MAcbook Pro was refurbished. (Which I don't mind at all)

Well..here's where I could sure use some council:

1. For my 2006 White Macbook model I purchase 667mhz DDR2 4GB RAM, which i'm sure to assume won't work (at all) with the new Macbook Pro correct? Well, if this is the case then where is the best place to purchase a 4GB upgrade of DDR3 for the best price? At Fry's I purchased the DDR2 667mhz 4GB of RAM for only $25 after mail-in rebate.

1.1. 2GB's comes standard on these new Macbook Pros. Is it enough? When I originally only had 1GB on my white Macbook I hated watching videos on YouTube or Hulu with all the screen lagging/temporarily freezing. I've noticed however on my White Macbook that usually at least 1GB is always free with the 4GB add-on. (Late 06 White Macbook model officially supports up to 2GB and un-officially 3.3GB's)

2. Safe to say my hard drive on my 2006 White Macbook will fit/work on the new Macbook Pros right? (& as a side thought: do the Macbook Air's use the same Hard Drives? Cause I was torn between getting the Pro or Air earlier.)

3. I noticed 802.11 "N" on the new Macbook Pros. I have the 1st generation "Airport Express." Anyway I can upgrade so my Airport Express will now include b+g+n?

4. Is the button-less trackpad better? Also, do you utilize the multi-touch capabilities or is it just another feature?

5. Do is easily dent? I've heard its much weaker than the white macbooks..

6. Is the battery life really 7 hours? Is the battery life really what its cracked up to be?

7. How are the speakers on the Macbook Pros? I always felt the white Macbooks were pretty weak when compared to other PC Laptops.

8. 2.26ghz processor: what is this? what does this mean? my current white macbook is at 2.0ghz, so will I see much of a difference?

9. Finally, anything worth mentioning that you individually have noticed about your Macbook Pro? Something interesting that you like or dislike about it? Whether it be a small detail or something more common?

Thanks everyone!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
1. For my 2006 White Macbook model I purchase 667mhz DDR2 4GB RAM, which i'm sure to assume won't work (at all) with the new Macbook Pro correct? Well, if this is the case then where is the best place to purchase a 4GB upgrade of DDR3 for the best price? At Fry's I purchased the DDR2 667mhz 4GB of RAM for only $25 after mail-in rebate.
I wouldn't buy from Fry's, but that's a personal choice. I like Crucial.

1.1. 2GB's comes standard on these new Macbook Pros. Is it enough? When I originally only had 1GB on my white Macbook I hated watching videos on YouTube or Hulu with all the screen lagging/temporarily freezing. I've noticed however on my White Macbook that usually at least 1GB is always free with the 4GB add-on. (Late 06 White Macbook model officially supports up to 2GB and un-officially 3.3GB's)
Yes.

2. Safe to say my hard drive on my 2006 White Macbook will fit/work on the new Macbook Pros right? (& as a side thought: do the Macbook Air's use the same Hard Drives? Cause I was torn between getting the Pro or Air earlier.)
Umm. Not the same exact, I believe that 2.5 is the standard for notebooks.

3. I noticed 802.11 "N" on the new Macbook Pros. I have the 1st generation "Airport Express." Anyway I can upgrade so my Airport Express will now include b+g+n?
Yes.

4. Is the button-less trackpad better? Also, do you utilize the multi-touch capabilities or is it just another feature?
Playing around with both, I prefer the button. but I imagine there are a difference in opinions.

5. Do is easily dent? I've heard its much weaker than the white macbooks..
I don't know. I keep mine in an Incase Hard Shell.

6. Is the battery life really 7 hours? Is the battery life really what its cracked up to be?
Yes.

7. How are the speakers on the Macbook Pros? I always felt the white Macbooks were pretty weak when compared to other PC Laptops.
Better, but still not great. It will be a noticeable difference however compared to your current machine. The larger notebooks have more speakers, creating better sound.

8. 2.26ghz processor: what is this? what does this mean? my current white macbook is at 2.0ghz, so will I see much of a difference?
Ram will make a bigger difference if you are still at 1GB or 2GB, but it is faster.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Not to say that a wireless N computer won't be able to use them, but just at G speeds.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Don't bother upgrading to N unless you frequently transfer files between computers on your network, or you have an internet connection faster than 54Mb/s (I can guarantee that you will know if you have one).

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Don't bother upgrading to N unless you frequently transfer files between computers on your network, or you have an internet connection faster than 54Mb/s (I can guarantee that you will know if you have one).

I have Charter Cable.

I know we're at the tier above the standard 1.5mbps. But i'm sure no more than 3.0mbps.

What I've always hated about my Airport Express, or my Macbook rather is while the other PC's around the house get super fast internet my Macbook doesn't. I've tried everything from changing the wireless signal channel, interface robustness, you name it. Yet at times it'll be fast, then not at others.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I have Charter Cable.

I know we're at the tier above the standard 1.5mbps. But i'm sure no more than 3.0mbps.

What I've always hated about my Airport Express, or my Macbook rather is while the other PC's around the house get super fast internet my Macbook doesn't. I've tried everything from changing the wireless signal channel, interface robustness, you name it. Yet at times it'll be fast, then not at others.

I just got my new AEBS Dual Band in the mail, had it setup in 5 minutes and it works flawlessly! I'd spend the money and pick one up, you will not regret it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.