MacBook Pro owners sound off! (Interested Buyer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yaddam205, Mar 20, 2008.

1. yaddam205 macrumors member

After a year of my roommate and various co-workers bugging me to get a Mac I have semi decided to look at a MacBook Pro while I also look at Dell and Sony.

So I have a few questions being the Microsoft "arrtard" that I am.

1: Running XP Pro w/ a MBP: A few people have told me that window will run very slow regardless of spec in comparison to a regular notebook with the same specs. Is this true?

2: .Mac worth getting: I already have a flickr account and love it, however it looks as if I might find it easier to manage and upload my photos from iphoto. Is .mac worth subscribing too and can I upgrade it from 10GB?

3: Configurable Keys: I hate having to use the "apple" key to copy, paste and so forth. Can I configure it to crtl being the main key?

4: Electronic Music creation: I enjoy mixing and occasionally producing hardcore and hardstyle eletronica. I currently use fruity loops and like it. What program for the mac will be similar to that?

Most importantly what do you like best about your MacBook Pro? Whats the one truly defining feature that makes you proud to whip out the white apple in public?

Here's what I am looking at: 15" MBP @ 2.5 with 8600GT 512.

Finally are there any quirks or interesting tid-bits I should know before purchasing?

Thanks A lot.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

1. Not true if you run in boot camp. Windows will run at native speeds. Maybe people were referring to virtualizaition.

2. There is a program which allows you to export from iPhoto to flickr. Must cost a little, but probably worth it over converting to .mac

3. Not sure, but you will get used to using the apple command key.

4. Garagebad comes with it. If you need something more professional, look into Logic express or Logic. Or just continue to run your program in Windows.

I love the design and features of my MBP. Also, the greatness of OS X. I write lots of programs, so it's nice being able to have the Unix file system built in. Lots of nice features such as back lit keyboard, isight, magsafe. Oh yeah, and the stability factor.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

1: Running XP Pro w/ a MBP: A few people have told me that window will run very slow regardless of spec in comparison to a regular notebook with the same specs. Is this true?

This was true a few years ago when macs used a PPC processor, and you had to emulate the x86 instruction set. Now that macs use intel processors, it's just as fast as if you bought a Dell] faster then if you bought a Dell.

2: .Mac worth getting: I already have a flickr account and love it, however it looks as if I might find it easier to manage and upload my photos from iphoto. Is .mac worth subscribing too and can I upgrade it from 10GB?

I don't know if you can upgrade the gigs, but it's not worth it IMO. And if you do get it, try getting it for cheeper on ebay.. I've had a mac for a few years now and never used it once.

3: Configurable Keys: I hate having to use the "apple" key to copy, paste and so forth. Can I configure it to crtl being the main key?

Possibly, I wouldn't though. After a while, you realize that the apple key is better positioned, you just have to get used to it first... but after you do, there's no more cramped pinky key from Ctrl+V'ing over and over

4: Electronic Music creation: I enjoy mixing and occasionally producing hardcore and hardstyle eletronica. I currently use fruity loops and like it. What program for the mac will be similar to that?

Garagrband, I think. Free on all macs.

Most importantly what do you like best about your MacBook Pro? Whats the one truly defining feature that makes you proud to whip out the white apple in public?

I love the backlit keyboard, and how fast it can wake up from suspend (usually < 1 second!)

Here's what I am looking at: 15" MBP @ 2.5 with 8600GT 512.

Finally are there any quirks or interesting tid-bits I should know before purchasing?

I have a C2D (not even Santa rosa chipset, it's almost a year old now) and it's still a speedy little machine. Where as with Windows, the computers start feeling their age after a while, I haven't had that problem with this mac yet. They really do last forever! I'll probably get a new one in 2 years, but only because I want to, if I had to I could probably keep using this computer for another 4-5 years.

You're very welcome :D

4. ogacon macrumors newbie

Actually... about reconfiguring, yes you can. I was just at the Mac store today messing with it... and under system pref's and keyboard there is an option to choose what you want each key (shift, contrl, apple, and alt) to do. you can switch those four around. That's all I know, as I only looked at it for like 5 minutes. It was there though, but I would suggest not changing it, and just get used to the apple key as it is more native to mac computer, and as stated earlier, better positioned.

5. pnyc macrumors 6502

The best thing about the MBP is the operating system. The hardware is pretty much comparable to other intel based laptops in similar price range. The design is more of a personal preference so the only thing that really makes the difference is the os.

6. bassicmelodies macrumors newbie

bassicmelodies

REASON!!! It is so great. 4.0 just came out and it's now compatible for both Windows and Mac Leopard. Check it out at http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm

It's a wonderful program!

7. packeteer macrumors member

8. blueskybyway macrumors member

I just gave my wife my black Macbook and purchased the 15" Macbook Pro last week. I was considering the Macbook Air, but just couldn't justify the reduced performance when I could get the Macbook Pro, with $150 rebate from Amazon, for almost the same price.

So far, with one exception, I'm finding it superior in every way, for my needs, than the Macbook. The one item that I'm having trouble adjusting to, is the keyboard. The "chicklet" keyboard on the Macbook was the easiest keyboard to type on of any computer I've ever owned. I'm finding the Macbook Pro harder to type on, but that will probably not be an issue in your switch.

The backlit keyboard and LED screen are really nice. I'm also finding the trackpad on the Pro to be superior to my Macbook. Sound is better on the Pro than my Macbook as well.

As for your other questions:

1: Running XP Pro w/ a MBP: No experience here. Switched from PC to Mac in 2005, after using Windows only for almost 15 years and haven't looked back.

2: .Mac worth getting: I know a lot of people haven't found it useful, but I have. I sync my Macbook Pro contacts, preferences, calendar, bookmarks and other items easily with my iMac and it works well for me. I realize there are probably other ways to do this, but the $99 is worth it rather than spending a lot of time researching other solutions. Also, I use the iDisk often to always access the magazine articles I write from wherever I am. As for upgrading to 10GB, didn't they do that for free last June or something. I have to double check, but I believe I get 10GB for the $99.

3: Configurable Keys: You can configure this in preferences, but I adapted quickly after the switch and it feels natural now.

4: Electronic Music creation: As others have said, GarageBand.

9. scott9s macrumors member

NOT TRUE. Apple makes the Fastest Vista computer

I don't plan on getting it. I have a flickr account too. I am farily certain you can not upgrade the gigs. I think lifehacker or somebody did a nice write up about how to manage your photo workflow with iphoto and flickr. There are rumors that picasa will be native os x soon.

-- Yes you can. I agree with others sentiments. it might be better to get used to it.

Garageband is free, but I am sure there are more programs out there if you're looking for professional quality.

I Don't know if this matters to me. I'm not proud to whip out a computer. a computer is tool, and I'd like to say don't be defined by your tools. I can easily operate on a Windows XP, Vista, or Linux Ubuntu, Fedora, or OS X. Why do I use it? It's new to me, and it sure seems to make things easier.

Tid-bits, Be wary, it seems to me, most of the must-have apps for OS X, are all pay, trial-ware products. So, you will likely end up spending more for the computer to buy all the cool apps. VMWare Fusion is a must have in my opinion. There are FOSS choices though.

Good Luck.

10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I have .mac and love it! You can upgrade your .mac storage space. You can do it when you first sign up or later in your account settings. It comes with 10gb standard.