MacBook pro palm surface feels rougher

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tryout, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Tryout macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just got a new RMBP and I have observed thay the surface of the palm rest feels slightly rougher compared to the same model that a friend has. What could be the reason for this and can it be remedied?

2. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Definitely, return it, it should be soft like satin not rough like sand paper. if you keep it over time it will start to develop black spots.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I had the same experience when I upgraded to a used 2010 MBP from my Late 2008 13". The palm rest is rougher, but I believe it is because it hasn't been used as heavily as my own. My '08 is silky smooth, but the '10 and even my dad's 09 is noticeably rougher. But I think they are all like that to a degree until it gets worn down over time.

My question is, how old or new is your friends? If it's new and yours is that much rougher, then return it. You might also compare to a display model and see how it feels.

4. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Yeech. So much knee-jerk commentary!

Relative to a used model, it's going to feel quite a bit rougher. Even just a couple months of use by oily fingers will make a big difference.