MacBook Pro "paper"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Callsignvibe, Mar 28, 2015.

  1. Callsignvibe macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015
    Hi everyone

    First of all sorry my English.
    I wonder if anyone can help me.
    When you first unbox a MacBook Pro (mine is a retina, but I'm certain that is in the air model too) and you open the MacBook itself there is a piece of paper of some kind dividing the keyboard from the screen.

    I would always close my MacBook with that piece of paper in place, but since I got it its getting a bit old.

    Does anyone know how it's called? I will then try to find a decent translation, so I can buy it here.

    Thank you for your time.
  2. cinealta macrumors 6502

    Dec 9, 2012
    You don't need to keep using that paper. It's just to protect the screen during shipping. After unboxing the MacBook you can discard the protective paper.
  3. redheeler macrumors 604


    Oct 17, 2014
    The reason that is there when you unbox your rMBP is to keep the keyboard from coming into contact with the display during shipping. There's really no need to use it after you unbox it.
  4. duervo macrumors 68020


    Feb 5, 2011
    It's just tissue paper. You can get that stuff from lots of places. Search eBay for starters. A stack of 20" x 30" will be bigger than needed, but if you cut them in quarters, then for every one sheet you will get four to use.
  5. seadragon Contributor

    Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Good question OP, and it makes me wonder...

    If they bother to use that seperator for shipping purposes, then wouldn't it be the same as toting the laptop around in a bag?

    Every time you take the laptop out you are technically "shipping" it somewhere.
  6. Anand953 macrumors regular

    Mar 28, 2015
    Something to think about. About guess the design is so sturdy and stable that we shouldn't be worrying about any damage happening to the screen due to it touching the keyboard (if at all it does) during travelling
  7. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

    Sep 19, 2014
    Let's also wrap it in plastic and put it in the box every time we take the laptop somewhere.
  8. Callsignvibe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015

    Maybe like the AR Coating that seems to come off?? And Apple is not helping anyone at this point?

    Ok tissue paper I'm going to look for it
  9. seadragon Contributor

    Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Go for it.
  10. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    Along that being, we might as well keep the plastic on iPhones, since they're in a constant state of being "shipped."

    The idea is that when you're stacking a lot of boxes together, there's weight and pressure being placed on them during shipping. So it's a uniquely rough process.
  11. seadragon Contributor

    Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, lots of people do put cases and screen protectors on their phones. And I would submit that the way some laptops are toted around would be more stressful on it than being packed neatly in a master carton or pallet for initial shipment.

    And just for the record, I've never used anything on my own MBP and don't plan to. I just think its a valid question from the OP. If someone wants to put felt between the keyboard and screen that's fine.
  12. Callsignvibe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015

    Thanks, that's how I fill about it. I found it on eBay, I'll try a domestic search first. Thanks to everyone
  13. simonsi, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

    simonsi macrumors 601


    Jan 3, 2014
    Actually my guess is that the paper is there purely as an "experience enhancer" and serves ZERO useful purpose.

    Apple go to great lengths to make getting an Apple product out of the box a pleasurable experience, this paper serves no other purpose. If it fixes a problem in shipping (can't see how ANY pressure could get to the screen that wouldn't result in unacceptable damage to the nice boxes...), then that problem would occur in daily use without it.

    View it as wrapping paper, nothing more.
  14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

    Clix Pix

    Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I use a RadTech thin microfibre cloth that covers my keyboard and protects the computer's monitor from any contact with the keys. I've been doing this for years with all of my laptops and I do think it makes a difference.

    My year-old 13.3" MBP with retina screen has had absolutely no problems, although certainly there have been plenty of anecdotal reports on here and other sites about issues. I have just gotten a new early 2105 rMBP with retina screen, and the first thing I did after placing the order for the machine itself was to order a new "Screensavrz" from RadTech. When the new machine arrived, I used the tissue-paper protector until the new Screensavrz came in the mail (the other one of course is still being used with my older rMBP).
  15. Montymitch macrumors regular


    Feb 16, 2009
    I use a generic microfiber lens cloth. I just throw it down over the keyboard before I close the lid. It keeps things clean and keeps the keys from making keyprints on the display.
  16. Callsignvibe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015

    Is there an European equivalent?
  17. flur macrumors 68000


    Nov 12, 2012
    I used to do this also. I found it kept dust that had settled on the keyboard from redepositing itself on the screen.

    Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably start doing this again, as I hate cleaning the screen.
  18. robo456 macrumors 6502


    Mar 3, 2008
    New Jersey
    Another "tissuer" here... hehe. I have a 2009 "whitebook" that I still have the original foamy divider when I close the lid. No issues with the screen at all.

  19. Callsignvibe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015
  20. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502


    Jun 1, 2009
    The keyboard doesn't come into direct contact with the screen unless you really push down hard on the top shell when closed. If you're going to use paper to "protect" the screen from the keyboard, why not cut out a piece of [thicker] copy paper instead of using super thin tissue paper?

    I agree with another poster here, I don't believe it serves any useful purpose other than making you feel like you just purchased something new.
  21. Callsignvibe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2015

    I'm not going to dispute that , since I have no grounds for.

    But it makes me feel like I did something to protect my 2000 plus euros investment, until some hard evidence of what is causing the problem comes into light.
    Not saying that different opinions are wrong, just going with my gut.

    Copy paper might scratch the screen do to its roughness, it just doesn't seem appropriate in my opinion.

    Searching for a micro fiber cloth for 15 rMbk...
  22. seadragon Contributor

    Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I would submit that the keys can indeed contact the screen. Look at what's going on with the "staingate" issue. You can sometimes see the outline of keys and trackpad on some of the affected screens.
  23. totten76 macrumors regular


    Mar 12, 2015
    Or do they put it there to make you feel like you are unboxing a beautiful new aluminum machine? Most electronics use that paper stuff and besides protecting during shipping, I always felt like it was there just to make you feel like you just got a great product. Or just to reiterate the fact that it is a new machine/device
  24. mristau macrumors newbie

    Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Colorado
    On close examination you will notice that there is a "toothy" side and an incredibly smooth side. Smooth side toward screen / toothy side toward keyboard. This is no ordinary tissue paper. The smooth side may be plasticized. If anyone can identify the paper manufacturer, I'd like to know.

Share This Page