Macbook pro - partitions/bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rtgbanks, May 21, 2007.

1. rtgbanks macrumors newbie

I have just switched from a PC and bought a 17" macbook pro. Please can someone tell me how I split my hardrive? I used partition magic on my pc...is there mac software to do this? I also want to use bootcamp...will this mean i will have 3 partitions on my hardrive? Do i just download bootcamp from apple? which should i do first?

cheers
    rick

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Boot Camp Assistant will do this for you.

Download Bootcamp and follow the instructions. You will end up with 2 partitions, HFS+ and NTFS.

3. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Sorry to sidetrack the thread but its better then starting my own. I have a Macbook with a 120gb hard drive, with 15gb for windoze and the rest for OSX - I used Bootcamp. Is it possible for me to increase the size of the windows partition without reformatting either drive?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't think Boot Camp Assistant will do that, but a program like Drive Genius will.

5. rtgbanks thread starter macrumors newbie

Excuse my stupidity...so if i download bootcamp...

will i get this:

1st partition = osx
    2nd partition = mp3s / backed up work etc
    3rd partition = windows

cheers
    rick

6. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

As a recent convert myself I have to ask why you have selected the Boot Camp option rather than the Virtual Machine route. I have found that running my windows only app's in a VM upon XP a better option.

My interested in your thoughts.

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Not sure if Boot camp will let you make the third partition or not. One thing you might try if you still have partition magic would be to create 2 partitions with boot camp, an OSX partition and a Windows/other stuff partition. You can then boot into windows and use partition magic to divide C: into two partitions, one for Windows and the other for the third partition you want. If you want both OSX and windows to see this partition then you will need to format it as FAT32. While this work around should work make certain to back everything up first (you do have an external back up drive, right? If not I highly recommend getting one as your first move.)

Flopticalcube's suggestion of getting drivegenius may be the better option though (still recommend the getting the external BU first)

8. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Games are one reason I can think of to run XP from boot camp. Or if your system doesn't have enough memory to run OSX and XP virtually at the same time. Of course if you do install XP via bootcamp you can always have Parallels use your BC partition, so you end up with the option of using either.

9. rtgbanks thread starter macrumors newbie

basically i need bootcamp to run indesign illustrator etc with fonts... can you do this using virtual machine?

cheers
    rick

10. rtgbanks thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks alot bob5820. yes i already have an external. i want to back it up twice.

cheers
    rick