Macbook Pro Password

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Senikc, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Senikc macrumors newbie

Senikc

I have recently received a used 3 or 4 year old MacBook Pro from a family member. the OS has been deleted, I have a copy of Mavericks on a flash drive which I plan to install. When I start it up I go to a grey page with the apple logo, a image of a hard drive in the center and the Disk Password box. I don't have the password and short of taking it to the shop I have no way to get past this point. I have watched youtube videos and tried pressing all the combinations of reset and bypass keys recommended. I don't go to any of the other pages as shown in the video's. Does anyone have a suggestion how to get past this password in order to install Mavericks.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance.
    Charles

2. Audit13 macrumors 65816

Audit13

What year is the model #? Have you tried booting from the USB drive in order to use disk utility to wipe the internal drive?

3. Senikc thread starter macrumors newbie

Senikc

Was purchased in January of 2013 MacBook Pro model A1278. I have tried inserting the flash drive and starting the computer up. it still goes to the same screen asking for a disk password. Is there anything else I should do to boot from the flash drive?

Thanks

4. Audit13 macrumors 65816

Audit13

Remove the internal hard drive and then boot from the USB key.

5. Senikc thread starter macrumors newbie

Senikc

I will give that a try.
    thanks again

6. ZapNZs, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

My guess is what happened is that someone encrypted the disk via Disk Utility after deleting OS X and before attempting to reinstall OS X.

If you have tried making a clone of a Recovery HD onto a bootable USB flash drive, holding the ALT key at startup to get to the startup manager, and booting into the Recovery HD, and this has not worked (it should), you can try removing the drive, placing it in a USB enclosure, plugging it into another Mac, and formatting it with Disk Utility (however, this may not work if made with FV2, and many sources say it does not work with ML and newer.) Consequently, you may need to use the Terminal because you will be asked for the password if you just try to delete it from Disk Utility.
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...rmat/186595?noredirect=1#comment220345_186595

Another option could be plugging the drive via a USB enclosure into a Windows computer and using the elevated CMD --> DISKPART --> LIST DISK --> SELECT DISK # --> CLEAN --> CONVERT MBR --> (format as FAT32/exfat) --> put back into Mac --> format as HFS+ (NON-ENCRYPTED) --> install OS X --> enable FileVault2 if you wish to encrypt