MacBook Pro past generation vs. new MBP 2.26Mhz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eliascgr, Mar 13, 2010.

1. eliascgr macrumors newbie

Hello all!
    I have a past generation MacBook Pro 15" 2.5Ghz with a 350Gb hard drive and 4GB RAM. Both were DIY upgrades.
    A friend wants to buy for the same price of the new white MacBook. I am thinking on getting the entry model MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and probably a 500GB Hard Drive.
    My question to this community is: Is this a good deal? or should I just keep my old MacBook Pro for, say; another year?

The main motivator for the trade in is portability, since my MBP seems a bit big and heavy for me since I carry it around all day. My previews Mac was a Black MacBook and I was very happy with it, except for it sharing the 2GB RAM it had as video RAM.

Thanks for your opinions!

PS: Right now there is a 13 month no interest offer at a local shop plus a $900 pesos (aprox $90 USD) store coupon.

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

No chance in hell!!!

I'd keep the one you have now, if portability isn't a huge problem. First, consider a bigger screen (15.5" vs 13"), and a dedicated and more powerful graphics card. Also, separate audio input/output plugs, firewire 400 and 800, PCIe expansion card, illuminated keyboard and plain DVI video out (instead of the rare MiniDisplayPort, which needs an extra adapter 99% of times).

Second: you will experience a lower performance with the low end 13" macbook "pro" @2.26GHZ- as there's some debate if these 13" machines are really pro. Your current one is clearly faster (2.5 vs 2.26). Your current MBP can run Snow Leopard and 64bit apps without problems, as smoothly as any new mac - so there are no limitations concerning OS or software.

Third, IMO, the price your friend is offering for your 2.5Ghz MBP is way too low... it's more equivalent to the highest end 13" or the entry level 15" u-mbp. Consider that it's still under warranty for the 8600M GT Nvidia issue (if it ever affects the machine), and - if you got AppleCare - you still have at least one year left. So the trade is not fair at all: check some prices for used MBPs.

cheers!

3. sMiK macrumors regular

sMiK

I was in the same boat, went from Unibody 15 2.53 to unibody 13 2.53. It is faster, it is a better processor, it is more portable, it is more battery life. If graphics card is your concern, stay with what you have. If not - go for top of the line 13 MBP, it is a brilliant computer!