Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuJu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
So, this is my second mac in two weeks (Penryn base model, first one had screen issues) and so far it's been great. Yesterday when I was playing DVD on battery, the bottom got really hot (can't touch it) and battery drained pretty fast. So, I stopped playing and closed all applications. I noticed that the battery were still draining fast as if I were still playing DVD and the bottom was still hot. I called mac support and I was told to bring the mac in to the local store and have it checked. The tech believed that the original battery capacity on my mac is too high....

Today I installed "coconut battery" and I noticed that the original battery capacity is 5600 mAh and the current battery capacity is 5546 mAh, which is 99%. It's only been 4 charging cycles. And I notice that the "age of your Mac" is 8 weeks, which is really bizarre to me since the "penryn" just came out on Feburary 26th.

I just don't know if there is something wrong with my battery or the system. Did this happen to you guys before? I really don't want to bring this mac in again for repair or exchange - I visited the store 3 times already... Thanks guys.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So, this is my second mac in two weeks (Penryn base model, first one had screen issues) and so far it's been great. Yesterday when I was playing DVD on battery, the bottom got really hot (can't touch it) and battery drained pretty fast. So, I stopped playing and closed all applications. I noticed that the battery were still draining fast as if I were still playing DVD and the bottom was still hot. I called mac support and I was told to bring the mac in to the local store and have it checked. The tech believed that the original battery capacity on my mac is too high....

Today I installed "coconut battery" and I noticed that the original battery capacity is 5600 mAh and the current battery capacity is 5546 mAh, which is 99%. It's only been 4 charging cycles. And I notice that the "age of your Mac" is 8 weeks, which is really bizarre to me since the "penryn" just came out on Feburary 26th.

I just don't know if there is something wrong with my battery or the system. Did this happen to you guys before? I really don't want to bring this mac in again for repair or exchange - I visited the store 3 times already... Thanks guys.

I don't think their is anything wrong with. When you play DVDs it pegs your CPU which uses your battery. Also there are design capacity discrepancies; some batteries has 5500mAh, others 5600mAh. Also Coconut battery has buggy in Leopard and the dates are always wrong.

RandiC

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008

Coconut battery is showing my system to be 4 months old (Penryn) It doesn't seem to work so I deleted it. I-Stat pro seems fine.

JuJu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I don't think their is anything wrong with. When you play DVDs it pegs your CPU which uses your battery. Also there are design capacity discrepancies; some batteries has 5500mAh, others 5600mAh. Also Coconut battery has buggy in Leopard and the dates are always wrong.

Thanks for your reply. It's just that last night I played videos again, the bottom didn't get quite as hot at all and the battery drain seemed better. Also, after I stopped playing, the estimate time went up significantly - which seems normal. I just don't understand why it was acting strange in the afternoon, which was the first time I played a video.

Also, yesterday I noticed the current battery capacity was 5600 and today when I charge it, it is down to 5546 and it's only been 1 day.

Sorry for not giving you more details at first place.

cmm26red

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/461464/

If I were you, I would drop coconut battery to the trash and install the latest version of minibattery logger. It is much more accurate than the program you are currently running. I had the same issue, somewhat. After the first couple cycles, by battery capacity went down to about 5400mAh. Since then, it has slowly been rising to around 5440mAh (14 cycles).

In reference to the design capacities, the 5500 and 5600 versions in the 15" MBP are made by 2 different manufactures. The link I posted is to a thread I started yesterday with a question about the subject.

JuJu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Thanks guys. I downloaded and installed the iStat pro. It's very cool - I get to see everything. It says the battery health is 99%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.