MacBook Pro Penryn Black Screen No Startup Chime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calabi, Dec 11, 2011.

1. calabi, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

calabi macrumors regular

Hey everyone.

I know my MacBook Pro is probably dead, but just wanted to double check a few things to see what people think maybe you can give me some advice!

I'm really gutted yesterday my MacBook Pro just started out of the blue not to startup, black screen no startup chime. It felt really odd I did a quick google and reset the PRAM which made no difference, then I tried to reset the SMC after I'd done this my MacBook started to work again! Didn't think anything of it turned it off after it was working fine and when i got back from shopping the same thing happened again, only this time nothing works just sits there at a black screen.

Most of the forums are saying logic board issue maybe? It's very old now almost 4 years i'm not going to get it repaired will probably buy a new one but just wanted to know if there is anything else i could try to get it back up and running?

Thanks for reading this, hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

---

Probably a long shot but I'm hoping that maybe because I was able to fix this with a SMC there might be something I'm missing and maybe the board isn't completely busted? Hmmm!

2. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Probably a long shot but I'm hoping that maybe because I was able to fix this with a SMC there might be something I'm missing and maybe the board isn't completely busted? Hmmm!

3. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Bring it into an Apple store, you may be able to get it repaired under the nVidia 8600GT recall.

5. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Snaky, I've replaced the hdd myself in the last few months, will that void anything? My 3 year apple care warranty ended this year.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, as long as you are inside four years Apple will deal with GPU failure, as long as the machine can be tested for the fault

7. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! My MacBook as been repaired!

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

My Early 2008 MBP just bit the dust. The drives do their normal spin-up and the system fans are audible, but no video and no boot. The sleep light just stays on dim. This machine has already had a logic board replacement in the past, a few months after it was new for the exact same symptoms (it ended up being the NVIDIA problem).

But this time, since I'm out of warranty AND they can't diagnose for the problem (the machine won't even POST), it's a $310 flat depot repair to get a new logic board, NVIDIA problem or not. I told them I'd sleep on it because I'm not sure if it's even worth putting $310 into a 4-year old computer.

Glad you got yours repaired. I never seem to have the same luck for whatever reason...

9. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Sorry to concern you, but I had this exact fault on a late 2008 MBP. It turns out my logic board was the problem. It was replaced under AppleCare.

Recently, I've had more problems, of which Apple tech support believe is again the logic board.