MacBook Pro Penryn Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mx356, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

What's up guys? I have an early 2008 MBP thats given me problems. My keyboard and mouse keep on freezing up on me. The screen and everything will still be on and running but my keyboard and mouse wont work. My USB mouse will work and thats it. It gets annoying while working on videos and stuff and it happens, making it difficult to save.

Has anyone every had this problem and if so what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks for any help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I always start with the basics. Have you checked your batteries? (if cordless)

3. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

I'm talking about the built in keyboard and mouse, not external. I was saying that all I can get to work when it happens is the external mouse I have.

Its the internal stuff thats giving me problems.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm confused. The MBP doesn't have a "built in mouse"; it has a trackpad. Plus, you said "Its the external stuff thats giving me problems." but you also said " My USB mouse will work and thats it." So what exactly is the problem? You're contradicting yourself.

5. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

My bad dude, I typed that to fast. As in internal mouse I'm referring to the trackpad. I should of proof what I wrote cause I meant to say its my trackpad and keyboard thats messing up, NOT the USB mouse.

All my problems are coming from the computer it self not any external accessories. Sorry for not making that clear.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've heard those problems before and it's due to a combination of old OSX software and Firmware. OK.. So, I have a few questions to ask. Firstly.

Is this a machine you've recently purchased?
    If so, what version of MacOSX are you running?
    And what's the Firmware installed on your system?
    Did you check Apple's site for software and firmware updates?

7. Mx356 thread starter macrumors member

Mx356

Bought the computer new from Apple.com in Sept. 08
    Running Version 10.5.6
    Haven't checked Apple's site for firmware updates. Will check it out

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here you go, maybe one of those will help to make your system more stable and more responsive. If you download incompatible firmware, your system won't allow it to be installed but do make sure you've read and understood all the instructions before you proceed. It's also wise to backup important documents and files from your system (just as a precaution).

Check your System Profiler application, for more information regarding your system.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/firmware_hardware/

9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

same problem with me, external (usb powered) keyboard and mouse will work though. Mine was bought February of last year, running 10.5.6, updated through software update.

10. rhyx macrumors 6502

Try a PRAM reset.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

did you do the "workaround" for 10.5.6 to jailbreak an iphone? If not, then i do not know....

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does jailbreaking an iPhone have to do with a MacBook Pro's keyboard and trackpad???

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I dunno who's more confused here... you or me.. :confused:

15. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

If your still having problems...

take it in to your local genius bar and have then take a looksy.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There is a hack, of sorts, out there for those who are jailbreaking their iphones w/ the newest firmware. It involves downgrading some drivers and could cause erratic behavior by anything hooked up via USB, which I believe, if i'm not mistaken, they keyboard and trackpad are (internally). But I'm guessing you didn't do that... so... ignore...

I took apart my Macbook Pro yesterday to do a drive swap and the connector for the keyboard / trackpad is very small and pops off pretty easily. While it seems highly unlikely, if your computer has never been opened, I could see this getting dislodged somehow.

Sounds like you have some really odd behavior and I'd take it in to an Apple store.

17. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

^ That was my suggestion too. MacRumors or TUAW (can't remember) recently had an article about this very issue with the fix... Link escapes me atm.