Macbook Pro Penryn LCD Screen Bleeding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chaggi, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Chaggi macrumors member

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I think that might be a common issue with backlighting as opposed to the screen bleeding as LCD bleeding appears black (I believe). One thing you can try if it's a video issue (though it doesn't look like it) is to reset the PRAM by holding down the COMMAND+OPTION+P+R keys just as your Mac is booting. Keep holding it down for 3 chimes and then let go.

I would do a search here or at google for backlighting on MBP's as you might come up with something relating you your issue. As long as there is no obvious physical damage to the machine and it is in fact an issue with the LCD or inverter than Apple will fix it (improper backlighting like that usually is just a thing with LCD's and not really fixable and is probably only viewable when looking at the screen at an angle or during boot up). I would guess that it would be no more than a week to fix, and more likely 3-4 business days depending on their work load.

3. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I have exactly the same issue occasionally with my Aug-08 Penryn MBP - but a PRAM reset solves it.
    Last time before the PRAM reset I did a few restart. The lines showed up on the boot screen and stayed when Leopard started. Then I booted BC/XP and the lines were present on the startup selection screen but they were gone when windows started. Then OSX again - and the lines showed up in the boot screen and stayed.
    I repeated two more times with the same result - lines under Leopard, no lines under BC/XP.

After the PRAM reset and things went back to normal.

4. northerngit macrumors member

Just to confirm for anyone else having this problem - resetting the PRAM does indeed fix the issue. The ghosted lines appeared on my display today after resumuing from sleep. I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 built in March '08

Exactly the same, although mine appeared worse than in the OP's screenshot, with all my dock icons appearing to 'bleed'.

The lines only appeared in OS X, the boot screen was fine.

Rebooted, reset PRAM and all is okay! You're a life saver, I was dreading loosing my laptop for a few weeks :)

5. Snowmann macrumors newbie

Snowmann

Hey I have a ? what is PRAM and how to you reset it?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios