MacBook Pro (penryn) LId starting to bow when closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotishhaggis, Mar 12, 2008.

1. scotishhaggis macrumors newbie

Hey guys am pretty new to the mac seen but loving learning the system all the benefits.

i used to have a good laptop when the lid was closed the clips kept the lid closed but the left and right hand sides of the laptop lid were always lifted . alwasys had issues with the LCD screen on it. I thing the lifting caused stress on the LCD. My new MacBook pro has started to do this its only a week old . is this common for them or should i call apple . I bought the Pro care with it.

2. JTK28 macrumors member

For the most part that seems to be "normal" for MacBook Pros.

Just for the record, its easy to see why this laptop and others would do that.

The hinge on which the lid operates needs to be stiff enough to secure enough to hold the screen in place at various angles. Because a laptop hinge isn't like a door (free swinging) it will obviously not be able to close flush with the case. In order for it to lay flush you'd have to close the laptop lid a little past parallel. Or the more simple approach that Apple probably should've done in the first place: move the latches further apart. :rolleyes:

My old dell would close flush, but the screen hinge was loose and wouldn't always stay in place at the angle i wanted. Needless to say it was quite annoying.

All in all though, I would much prefer the slight opening when closed as opposed to a laptop screen that won't stay open.