Macbook Pro (Penryn) XP Issues: Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skitzogreg, Mar 3, 2008.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

For some reason XP only shows that my processor is a 2.4 C2D, but it says the speed is 790mhz!? Why in the world is it doing this? CPU-Z shows it as running 1.5ghz. Is there something wrong?

2. InSaNeCyAnUr macrumors member

CPU-Z is surely not up to date and doesn't have Penryn in his database.

You can try Aida32 or Sandra from Sisoft or Everest. But they might all not be up to date.

3. Heston macrumors regular

The remarkable thing about processors nowadays is that you can dynamically change the speed of the processor by changing the power going to it. In the old days, it was always running at a particular speed, especially in desktops.

My guess it's showing as 1.5 in CPU-Z because you're not drawing much usage from the CPU. Try moving the mouse or open an application to see if the usage spikes momentarily.

I think the 790 Mhz may be referring to the speed of the RAM. Does it say Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4, 790Mhz, or is that reference next to how much RAM you have?

If not, I'm not sure why there's so much disparity between the two gauges. Do you have the latest bootcamp drivers installed? I remember with my old AMD processor, I had to install a driver in order for XP to "recognize" it, but I would think that shouldn't be a problem at all for the C2D.

4. Heston macrumors regular

Yeah, InSaNe's right. That makes sense. If it were updated, it should conceivably match window's measurement, right?

5. valvehead macrumors regular

The value shown in the system properties window in XP is stored in the registry. I'm not sure how often this number is updated, but it's probably only once per boot. It gets this value from the BIOS (or in this case the BIOS-emulation provided by the EFI). It is not real-time.

The value shown by CPU-Z is dynamic. Try ripping a CD (or some other CPU-intensive task) while CPU-Z is open. It should go up to the rated speed for the CPU.