Macbook Pro: performance while using Toast (encoding)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Jan 17, 2008.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey

I'm running a 2.2ghz Macbook Pro with 2 gigs of ram and a swapped 250 gig WD scorpio hard drive.

I realized these past few days that when I encode and burn DVDs usin Roxio's Toast 8 Titanium, it takes quite a bit of power and slows down the rest of my system. For example, watching a youtube video becomes a slideshow. This is pretty annoying considering that you would think this machine with it's dual processor would have no problem doing this.

I'll also mention that I'm running Leopard, and I did a "restore from Time Machine backup" to get it on this system.

Does anybody have any idea why this is / does this happen to any of you? Thanks alot in advance for any insight!

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've always found Toast encoding incredibly slow on every machine I've used (MBP, MP, PowerMac, PowerBook)...

...and so I use other stuff instead - ffmpegX, and VisualHub.

3. a4abt macrumors regular

when using toast, my MBP temperature goes up to 82c ... but I haven't notice a decrease in the performances. :confused:

4. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You're running Leopard too?

Everything slows down for me. It's really annoying, maybe something's wrong with my hardware?

Is there an extensive hardware test more in os x?

5. a4abt macrumors regular

yes I'm running Leopard. Nothing slows down for me, the only issue I'm having is the temperature rising up to ~80c.