MacBook Pro perfroming very slowly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tequileros97, Apr 24, 2015.

1. tequileros97, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

tequileros97 macrumors newbie

It's a long and descriptive story, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

One day I was using my MacBook Pro (which was performing perfectly fine) until all of a sudden the computer was completely frozen and unresponsive. I rebooted the Mac and then it eventually froze again, so I rebooted again, and the cycle repeated until all of a sudden, it works completely fine, but now the MacBook is saying that I don't have an Airport card installed.

I know for a fact that the Airport card didn't die out, because every once in a while I would boot up the computer (and not because of freezing issues) and the Airport would come back on, but I would then face the inevitable freezing and unresponsiveness.

I thought I would be fine without the Airport being able to turn on most of the time because the computer would run fine. About a month and a half goes by when one day I was playing a video game, when the program became unusually sluggish and unresponsive sometimes. It seemed like the more I would restart the computer, the MacBook got progressively worse. It got to the point that running any program would make the computer slow and unresponsive, but oddly the Dock always worked smoothly. The computer would get so slow that a spinning circle would appear, (like the spinning circle that pops up as the computer boots up) and I would have to reboot. The hard drive would make a noise it wouldn't normally make when it rebooted, and it took longer than unusual to boot up.

Side note: I have often used the MacBook to play Call of Duty 4 and Counter-Strike, and I'm thinking that all that time playing and heating up the computer might have led to all this mess.

It seems like there is definitely a problem with the hard drive, but I'm hoping it's just the hard drive that's messed up. Can any of you help me out and tell me what's wrong, or is it too complicated to know what's exactly wrong without taking a look inside?

My computer:
    MacBook Pro (2010 or 11)
    OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
    2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM
    159.7 Hard Drive memory capacity

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It would be a good idea to provide the forum with the year, model, and spec of your Mac, along with what OS you are using. Also, do the fan(s) run a lot? What kind of apps do you have loaded? Have you checked the activity monitor? That way, the members can (hopefully) provide some specific help.

Edited to add: I see you added some of the information while I was constructing my post. :) The first thing that comes to mind is your Mac may be freezing (in part) due to the small amount of RAM you have, especially with the intensive games you run.

Edited to add part 2: Is the hard drive spec? What kind of noise is it making?

3. tequileros97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I kind of thought it might be the RAM, but the computer never game me problems when I ran Counter-Strike and Call of Duty 4 on the lowest settings possible. The fans only ran when I was gaming for more than 5 minutes.

The apps I currently have installed are:
    Google Chrome
    Transmission
    UnRarX
    Firefox
    Audacity
    Steam (with Counter-Strike installed)

The hard drive makes the same familiar sound it makes when it boots up, but the sound will either last twice as long or twice as short than it normally does. Sometimes it doesn't make any sound at all.

I never thought of using Activity Monitor because I actually never know I had that installed (I'm not very knowledgeable with computers). I just tried using Activity Monitor, and heres the info I have so far: using Google Chrome and Disk Activity usually leaves 200-300MB available (going as low as 40MB), and CPU usage is usually under 10% going as high as 50%

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You have to look at the CPU usage because it sounds as a program is eating up your processor! Sounds as if a program is going bonkers!

5. tequileros97 thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually seems to be more of a RAM issue than a CPU issue. I deleted Google Chrome and uswd Safari instead, and when it freezes the CPU is at about 5% usage, but the available RAM drops to 14-3 MB and stays around 36-140 MB when Safari isn't frozen. What I don't get right now is why my computer is using up more RAM than it normally should

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Start Activity Monitor and use preview to get a capture of the memory tab. Then post the picture here.

7. tequileros97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the amount of available RAM it had when safari froze. Now the available memory has gone way up, I couldn't get it to drop to 40MB like it did before.

Also, I tried to take a screenshot but it took forever for the computer to even make the shutter sound. I took a picture from my phone camera instead.

Attached Files:

8. tequileros97 thread starter macrumors newbie

And here's the CPU usage when Safari froze

Attached Files: