Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Hello everyone,

For the past week, my MacBook Retina, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and it's running on macOs Sierra 10.12.4 (I bought it back in July 2015) has been crashing every day. I use to run InsomniaX to keep the MacBook from idle sleep when I close the lid. I since deleted the app thinking it was the cause the crash. However, this past week, when I open the lid, I see a dark screen and I'm force to hold down the power button and force restart my laptop. After I log in, I get this display message of:

"You shut down your computer because of a problem"

Initially, a kernel panic report was generated and it was determined that and adobe plugin was causing this particular kernel panic report and has since been deleted, but the crash still persists with no kernel panic report generated. Here is the kernel panic report at pastebin: https://pastebin.com/UYa9Bkja

The most recent crash happened about 30 mins ago and I went into console reports and found this under system.logs:

Apr 26 18:11:46 Michaels-MacBook-Pro loginwindow[110]: objc[110]: Class TIMLog is implemented in both /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/TextInput.menu/Contents/SharedFrameworks/TextInputUI.framework/Versions/A/TextInputUI (0x10b17e858) and /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/TextInput.menu/Contents/SharedSupport/TIMCore.bundle/Contents/MacOS/TIMCore (0x10853db10). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Apr 26 18:11:47 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Apr 26 18:11:47 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.501): Service "com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.loginwindow.110" tried to hijack endpoint "com.apple.tsm.uiserver" from owner: com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent

Apr 26 18:12:17 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Apr 26 18:15:35 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[547]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

Apr 26 18:50:31 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1493247031 0

Please keep in mind that nothing is attached to the laptop except my apple watch. I tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM and nothing.

Please lend a helping hand. I'm afraid something is going to happen to my laptop now that it has been crashing every night for the past week. I made the liberty on asking on the Apple forums but it has since gone silence. Here is the link to the apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31675177#31675177

Thank you,
Anime1215

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.44.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.44.56 PM.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 164

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
It happened again last night. Here is what the system.log states:

Apr 27 00:35:47 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[979]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

Apr 27 00:39:58 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[985]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

Apr 27 00:39:58 Michaels-MacBook-Pro syslogd[50]: ASL Sender Statistics

Apr 27 11:54:52 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1493308492 0

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The report you have on the pastebin site doesn't look like the typical kernel panic report - it might be a plugin crash report? (Kernel panic logs should be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and start with "Kernel_" and end in ".panic")

As far as the logs are concerned, a lot of times they have messages which would seem to indicate some type of problem but a system will work fine. I have several of the "Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in" messages in my current log and one of the "tried to hijack endpoint" messages as well and I'm not having problems.

If you don't have issues when not starting Safari, there may be a problem there. You might want to visit the Sierra forum and see if people are having similar issues (10.12.4 seems to be a step backwards, stability-wise).

You might want to try running in safe mode and see if the problems persist.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

You might want to try running EtreCheck and see what it reports. If you need help with the report, post it here.
https://etrecheck.com/

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
The report you have on the pastebin site doesn't look like the typical kernel panic report - it might be a plugin crash report? (Kernel panic logs should be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and start with "Kernel_" and end in ".panic")

As far as the logs are concerned, a lot of times they have messages which would seem to indicate some type of problem but a system will work fine. I have several of the "Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in" messages in my current log and one of the "tried to hijack endpoint" messages as well and I'm not having problems.

If you don't have issues when not starting Safari, there may be a problem there. You might want to visit the Sierra forum and see if people are having similar issues (10.12.4 seems to be a step backwards, stability-wise).

You might want to try running in safe mode and see if the problems persist.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

You might want to try running EtreCheck and see what it reports. If you need help with the report, post it here.
https://etrecheck.com/

Hi tweekram,

Thank you for responding, I was getting worry that no one was going to help. I will post on the sierra forums, I wasn't aware there was one since I'm am so new to this website. The EtreCheck report is at the follow PasteBin website.

https://pastebin.com/RHv84T3N

Thank you.

With sincerity,
Anime1215

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You have a lot of stuff on your computer. You should really try running in safe mode using the instructions in the link I posted and see what happens. You should be able to run EtreCheck while in safe mode and see that most, if not all of the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons should not be running.

One thing to do is remove the uTorrent as it's been identified as adware. There's a link in the report to help in that effort.

What you'd have to do is go through the list of Launch Agents and Launch Daemons that are running or loaded in the EtreCheck report and search on the web to see if there are reports of an item causing a crash. For example, search for citrix AuthManager_Mac mac crash and see what turns up.

Or, if there are items in the Launch Agents and Launch that you don't need, you might want to remove them and see if that helps.

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
You have a lot of stuff on your computer. You should really try running in safe mode using the instructions in the link I posted and see what happens. You should be able to run EtreCheck while in safe mode and see that most, if not all of the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons should not be running.

One thing to do is remove the uTorrent as it's been identified as adware. There's a link in the report to help in that effort.

What you'd have to do is go through the list of Launch Agents and Launch Daemons that are running or loaded in the EtreCheck report and search on the web to see if there are reports of an item causing a crash. For example, search for citrix AuthManager_Mac mac crash and see what turns up.

Or, if there are items in the Launch Agents and Launch that you don't need, you might want to remove them and see if that helps.

Hi Treekram,

Again, thank you for responding.

The only issue is idk when the crash is going to happen. Even if I run it in safe mode, the only time the crash occurs is when I "close the lid" of my laptop, hence when it goes to sleep. And even if I put it to sleep, the crash seems to happen hours after I close the lid of my laptop.

Here is the EtreCheck report during safe mode:

https://pastebin.com/4PDWeZuS

Thanks again

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If it's possible to do whatever you need to do on the computer in safe mode, then you should try using it and see if you notice any problems. If you can't then first, I'd remove the uTorrent and see if the computer works without crashing. Some people have reported that they believe Malwarebytes caused crashes so that would be the next one. If you don't use Citrix, try removing that (if you do, you can leave that for now). If you don't use Google software installed on your computer (Chrome, etc.), you should remove Google Keystone software (again, no big deal right now if you're using Google software). For the Adobe, Microsoft and Oracle (Java) software, while they may be a pain to some, I would put that down the list of something that can cause a computer crash.

I noticed in the EtreCheck report that there's a crash AdobeGCClient crash report from 2017-04-25-162906 (date and 24-hour time) - by any chance is that when you had a system crash?

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
If it's possible to do whatever you need to do on the computer in safe mode, then you should try using it and see if you notice any problems. If you can't then first, I'd remove the uTorrent and see if the computer works without crashing. Some people have reported that they believe Malwarebytes caused crashes so that would be the next one. If you don't use Citrix, try removing that (if you do, you can leave that for now). If you don't use Google software installed on your computer (Chrome, etc.), you should remove Google Keystone software (again, no big deal right now if you're using Google software). For the Adobe, Microsoft and Oracle (Java) software, while they may be a pain to some, I would put that down the list of something that can cause a computer crash.

I noticed in the EtreCheck report that there's a crash AdobeGCClient crash report from 2017-04-25-162906 (date and 24-hour time) - by any chance is that when you had a system crash?

Hello again,

I've had uTorrent since I've had this laptop, I honestly don't think they're causing the crash. However, it doesn't mean I'm not willing to remove it. I went for a run and close my lid for about an hour and it crashed again. I consulted the console log and this is what was recorded (btw, if these aren't helpful I could totally stop providing them):

Apr 27 17:53:30 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[594]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

Apr 27 17:57:15 Michaels-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Apr 27 19:01:19 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1493334079 0

I went ahead a literally removed Malwarebytes, Chrome, Citrix, and Google Keystone. I've had everything except Citrix since I've had my laptop but I don't use them regularly so I have no issues removing them. The only "new thing" I had is Citrix which I downloaded a month ago for work but don't need it anymore and thought I removed it.

In regards to a crash associated with AdobeGCClient, I have no idea what that is. I've had daily crashes so it's entirely possible there was a system crash, I however only have that one Panic report I posted in my original post. There is nothing more in Library/Logs/Diagnostics Reports.

Here is a new EtreCheck after deleting everything and a restart:

https://pastebin.com/BNXDYjHx

Maybe I'm not delete things correctly?

Thanks,
Anime1215

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Sometimes you can manually delete software and it might not remove everything associated with the software. The .plist which would start uTorrent, shows as being deleted. But something from Malwarebytes and Citrix still show as running in EtreCheck. It's best to find out how to properly remove the software (you can click on the support links in EtreCheck). In addition, you deleted the Google updater and (at some point in the past) some software from EaseUS but the instructions to start some of their software is still there (this is not important at this point).

I have "Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in" messages in my logs. The "_DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit" message is also harmless. A lot of the messages that appear to signify an issue in the system logs are harmless but on the other hand, if people TOTALLY ignored them, there may be something important that may be missed. But for now, what you've reported thus far in the system logs hasn't pointed to a problem.

It appears that you have a way to fairly consistently induce a crash (putting the laptop to sleep, waking it, maybe waiting for an hour or so). If that's the case, after you delete the Malwarebytes and Citrix, I would try the safe mode. If that doesn't help, you should run diagnostics and if that doesn't turn up anything, you should contact Apple (phone or Genius Bar visit). As I mentioned in my first post, Sierra 10.12.4 has issues - I see that waking from sleep is one, although that seems to be an issue with certain iMacs. One way to find out with a good deal of certainty whether your problem is hardware or software is to install El Capitan on an external disk (presuming you didn't have these issues when/if you had El Capitan) but that's a bit of work and contacting Apple may be the easier route.

Anime1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Sometimes you can manually delete software and it might not remove everything associated with the software. The .plist which would start uTorrent, shows as being deleted. But something from Malwarebytes and Citrix still show as running in EtreCheck. It's best to find out how to properly remove the software (you can click on the support links in EtreCheck). In addition, you deleted the Google updater and (at some point in the past) some software from EaseUS but the instructions to start some of their software is still there (this is not important at this point).

I have "Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in" messages in my logs. The "_DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit" message is also harmless. A lot of the messages that appear to signify an issue in the system logs are harmless but on the other hand, if people TOTALLY ignored them, there may be something important that may be missed. But for now, what you've reported thus far in the system logs hasn't pointed to a problem.

It appears that you have a way to fairly consistently induce a crash (putting the laptop to sleep, waking it, maybe waiting for an hour or so). If that's the case, after you delete the Malwarebytes and Citrix, I would try the safe mode. If that doesn't help, you should run diagnostics and if that doesn't turn up anything, you should contact Apple (phone or Genius Bar visit). As I mentioned in my first post, Sierra 10.12.4 has issues - I see that waking from sleep is one, although that seems to be an issue with certain iMacs. One way to find out with a good deal of certainty whether your problem is hardware or software is to install El Capitan on an external disk (presuming you didn't have these issues when/if you had El Capitan) but that's a bit of work and contacting Apple may be the easier route.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll make sure to put my computer in safe mode before heading to bed tonight to see if it crashes.

What do you mean by running a diagnostic on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.