MacBook Pro Photography Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stonegammage, Mar 15, 2011.

1. stonegammage macrumors member

Okay guys. I have a 20" iMac, iPad, iPhone, and I am saving up for a 13" MBP i5 with SSD drive. I need the portability of the MacBook Pro for my photography.

So.... first question. Am I right when I say that the 13"MBP with 4GB of RAM on the dual core i5 will absolutely scream when I put in the SSD? I watched several youtubes and the SSD sounds and appears as though it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

So....second question. I have the iPad for viewing photos and I love it to display, and just as a portable tool. Obviously, I won't be taking a MacBook Pro everywhere except on photo shoots and trips where the iPad will accompany me. So, the iPad will be for games, books, and taking around everywhere that I don't have a mission.

BUT....I have a beautiful iMac here and I want to be sure that I still use it. I'm thinking I will love it when i sit down and get my work flow really moving, editing pictures and vids on the big screen. Do you agree?

Last deal...I use iDisk. Can I store my iPhoto or Aperture library on say a 1TB hard drive, and use it between both computers?

Can I sync my iPhone 4 and iPad between BOTH the iMac and MBP?

Thank you guys so much for your help, and you all have a blessed Spring Break!

Stone Gammage

2. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I am not sure about your iDisk question, but I do know that you can't sync your devices with multiple computers without erasing the data on the device and re-writing it.

Hope that at least helps with some of you questions.

3. The Tech Fish macrumors member

My friend has a MacBook air (SSD) and my family has a powerful iMac. With photo editing (something I do a lot of) you need lots of power and speed.

The MacBook Pro with an SSD will definitely has both of these, and i'm pretty sure that unless you are shooting RAW with a 60mp Hasselblad that it will 'Scream' through your photos!

Aperture is a fantastic piece of software, and as far as I know, you can set the library location to an external drive, so you could just switch the drive between the iMac (when you want a bigger screen) and the MBP when you want the power. Just make sure that the Hard drive has a RAID setup so that all your data is backed up. Time Machine will not back up external devices.

Something my friend has found is that since he got his macbook air, because it is so fast, he rarely uses his mac mini + 22" monitor.

It might be worth selling the iMac, and simply purchasing a nice quality, big monitor that you can use with your macbook pro, then you don't have to fiddle around with multiple libraries / syncing etc, but you still have the option of a big screen when at home.

Alternatively you could use the extra cash to get a 15" mbp instead, because although it's not got a big screen it will be much better than 13". I have a 13" macbook, and i can't edit photos on there, since it's just too small (Thankfully i have it plugged into my 19" LG!)

Hope all goes well,

Joe