MacBook Pro Pinging/Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smhayduck, Nov 5, 2010.

1. smhayduck, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

smhayduck macrumors newbie

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

My MacBook Pro 15inch makes a hollow sounding click/ping noise when I move along the track pad. It's NOT the motion sensor, that noise is more defined and pinpointed. This noise is random, sometimes occurs non-stop for an hour or two at a time every time I move the mouse, but usually occurs at random. Sometimes it also occurs when i have my computer on my lap or tilted and move it from side to side. But again, it is not the normal motion sensor noise.

I'm on my third MacBook Pro in less than 30 days. My first one corrupted all my files and my second one pinged like this one. I just need confirmation that this is actually OK and I will get a good MacBook and the money will be well spent. I think most of my issues stem from the fact that I'm new to Mac and just don't know what is normal.

Thank you so much for your input!!

PS- On the bright side, this MacBook is making the noise significantly less than the 2nd one.

2. smhayduck thread starter macrumors newbie

6 days later, the battery is beginning to fail. It no longer charges fully to 100%, it only charges to about 94% and the charge only lasts about 1hr 30mn. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this with their mac? Please, I am at your mercy.

3. Darrenyo macrumors member

Is it still in warranty?

If yes, then bring it back to the retailer and get it fixed or replaced.

4. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

I would recommend getting it replaced at an Apple-Authorized Service Provider (AASP). They are usually much more informed and handle your issue more professionally than retail store associates. They are also likely to be much closer than an Apple retail store to where you live (especially if you live in the middle of nowhere).

5. Hentiki macrumors newbie

I too have the same problem you are experiencing,
    clicking noice,

I took it to a local hardware store that is allso Apple Certified, and they told me (though I must say I have a hard time believing them) that it was the battery that had expanded and needed to be replaced. They wanted me to hand the computer in to them for testing which would set me back about 50 bucks. I thought I'd wait for Christmas break and turn it in to an actual firm I trust and does the check for free

Please let me now how this turns out!