MacBook Pro poor for gaming

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
My Macbook pro
- 2.16 CPU
- X1600 256mb
- 1 GB of Ram

and when I tried to use bootcamp to play a game called EA NHL2007
It lags like a Pentium 2 computer
even my 5 years old Pentium 4 with 128 Graphic card can beat it
can anyone help me
i installed all the Mac Drivers
and is still like that
 

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
103
0
you mean to say: windows on a MBP under bootcamp (which is a beta) is not so good.... in fact I was very pleased to see that every native mac game (including quake 4) worked very fine on a MBP
 

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
151
0
Portsmouth, U.K
cbetta said:
you mean to say: windows on a MBP under bootcamp (which is a beta) is not so good.... in fact I was very pleased to see that every native mac game (including quake 4) worked very fine on a MBP
i run bootcamp halo & it works so many times better than my old 2GHz AMD w. geforce 4200ti

i'm happy with the bootcamp gaming performance :)
 

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
154
0
um....laptop are not good for gaming in general.........

I am not sure if the argument of "because you are using windows" hold....I've heard that if you are using the macbook (not pro), you can run certain games better in windows than in OS X (world of warcraft for example).....
 

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
302
2
Try it with a different game. If it's much better running something else, you know its a specific issue with that game. With specs like your MBP, there should be no problem at all running it.

Also, what graphics settings have you got turned on? is it on full? if you have something like HDR turned on in the settings your video card might not cope with this.

Ed
 

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
i even put it on lowest setting
still lagging
well
i don't know
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
andrew050703 said:
i run bootcamp halo & it works so many times better than my old 2GHz AMD w. geforce 4200ti

i'm happy with the bootcamp gaming performance :)
Yeah, flying economy class gets me to me destination a lot faster than sailing first class in the Titanic too :rolleyes:

Duh, a 2Ghz computer is like *so* old. Even my Dad's old computer (now defunct) is a 2.6Ghz AMD.
 

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
can you guys tell me the process u guys took to set up boot camp on ur Macbook or Macbook pro ?
 

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
1,426
179
Gravesend, United Kingdom
rs1985 said:
can you guys tell me the process u guys took to set up boot camp on ur Macbook or Macbook pro ?
When your MBP's running Windows, it's exactly the same as every other Windows machine out there. If games are slow in Windows, try all the usual hoops you have to jump through to get Windows to play your games properly. All standard Windows tips apply -- disable CPU-sucking services, tweak this, edit that, fiddle with such-and-such a registry key.

The only area where you need to appreciate the Mac-ness of the hardware is to use appropriate drivers. Standard ATI ones will not work, and the ones supplied with BootCamp aren't the latest and greatest. Do a quick Google search for Omega's ATI drivers. These are optimised modifications of ATI drivers, much more up-to-date than the Apple-supplied drivers. They run fine on my MacBook Pro.

To sum up, Windows on your MBP is no different to Windows on any PC laptop. Take a look at the forums at http://www.onmac.net/ where you'll find a good community of people who are into using Windows on the Mac including for gaming.

For reference, my MBP's been the best gaming machine I've owned. Decent framerates in everything from Oblivion to Quake 4 to Doom 3... Hope you get it fixed!
 

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
would it be my video card is defected ?
are there anything i can run to test it out ?
 

vamp07

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
69
0
Under Boot Camp your MBP is just another PC although a very good one. Whatever you are running into it's probably human error. I would suggest being much more descriptive of the problem you are having.
 

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
the game lag like hell
that explain pretty much the whole thing
 

vamp07

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
69
0
What other games have you tried? Do any of them run well? Did you run the game at any time before installing the Apple drivers? The game may think it can only run software emulation mode if it was loaded the first time before the drivers for the video were in place. That’s a pretty new game so I doubt this is the case.


rs1985 said:
the game lag like hell
that explain pretty much the whole thing
 

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
777
0
Brighton, UK
Your going to need to test more than one game, on a variety of settings. If teh problem persists throughout all of the games, then you are probably suffering a hardware failure and will need to contact Apple.

If it is only happening on the one game, then just put it down to a software fault with the game.
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,743
142
rs1985 said:
My Macbook pro
- 2.16 CPU
- X1600 256mb
- 1 GB of Ram

and when I tried to use bootcamp to play a game called EA NHL2007
It lags like a Pentium 2 computer
even my 5 years old Pentium 4 with 128 Graphic card can beat it
can anyone help me
i installed all the Mac Drivers
and is still like that
This shocks you? MacPro - everything but games Windows PC games and don't bother with everything else.
Sorry about your issues.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,921
242
Denmark
xJulianx said:
Your going to need to test more than one game, on a variety of settings. If teh problem persists throughout all of the games, then you are probably suffering a hardware failure and will need to contact Apple.

If it is only happening on the one game, then just put it down to a software fault with the game.
Reinstall Windows XP and try again?
 

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
8,116
1
One Nation Under Gordon
Ditto on the power adapter thing, don't be anywhere too warm (as gaming on the MBP really does turn it into a frying pan) either.

Apps work as smoothly as I can reasonably expect on an X1600 with all the (pretty intensive) games I've tried. It's probably a Windows setup problem, power management mis-sets or apps running which shouldn't be. Worst case, I suggest trying to reinstall Windows, put the game on first after that and see if it still works badly. If you're running from AC power and you don't have any odd power management profiles and you're still getting this problem, your hardware could be faulty.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,921
242
Denmark
Can you try it with any native Mac OS X games?

If it runs fine in Mac OS X there shouldn't be a problem with the hardware.
 

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
6,559
628
Cork, Ireland.
I've tried Half-Life 2 (and Episode 1), and it plays beautifully, Far Cry flies along nicely too.

When gaming, it gets extremely hot under the narrow strip behind the keyboard, careful not to touch this for long.
 

rs1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
37
0
i don't know
is just so laggy when i play
i dun want that on my 2XXX cdn machine